'12+ WR450F - How Much Sag?

7 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm not finding the info I need to determine sag height.

The Owners Service Manual reads like it wants me to remove the rear shock and set the overall length of the shock, unsprung, then reinstall it. What a PITA.

I'm 185 lbs. with gear and backpack.

Anyone got some advice on the sag setting I should use, in inches or cm, for my weight? Please be sure to tell me the measurement point, too. (Rear muffler bolt point, seat bolt point, whatever).

I know the "how to set it" part, but not the measure value.

Thanks,

Bob

• timpjr

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:26 AM

I'm not finding the info I need to determine sag height.

The Owners Service Manual reads like it wants me to remove the rear shock and set the overall length of the shock, unsprung, then reinstall it. What a PITA.

I'm 185 lbs. with gear and backpack.

Anyone got some advice on the sag setting I should use, in inches or cm, for my weight? Please be sure to tell me the measurement point, too. (Rear muffler bolt point, seat bolt point, whatever).

I know the "how to set it" part, but not the measure value.

Thanks,

Bob

At first I was confused about the manual as well, the area for servicing the shock shows the installed length with min and max values then after looking further...  In the tuning section, under chassis, is the method and numbers - 90mm-100mm. I personally went with the larger measurement to get my feet closer to the ground if ya know what i mean.  I'm 200lbs full gear and the spring just barely cuts it for me at that height.  Smart Performance is next on the list.

Edited by timpjr, January 30, 2014 - 07:31 AM.

• ggamster

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:28 AM

I use 4". That works well for me on that bike

• kris_big

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:07 AM

You don't need to remove rear shock absorber for +2012 model. There is enough free space to set up sag on motorcycle.

If you got 2007-2011 model you need to remove shock absorber every trial.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:26 AM

You don't need to remove the shock to set sag on any year or model WR motorcycle.

100mm race sag and 25mm static sag are your goals.

Those are the numbers the engineers assume you will have, and design the bikes handling around those numbers.

The 100 part is easy, but the 25 part at the same time requires the correct spring.

• mebgardner

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks very much.

I think I'm light enough to assume I'm close enough to the engineer's default  'merican weight (at least, for now... We are getting bigger, as a nation).

So, I think I'll go with the stock spring for now.

But, the answers are very helpful, all.

Thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Thanks very much.

I think I'm light enough to assume I'm close enough to the engineer's default  'merican weight (at least, for now... We are getting bigger, as a nation).

So, I think I'll go with the stock spring for now.

But, the answers are very helpful, all.

Thanks.

Check both sag numbers to see if you can get 100/25

If you can't, you need to change both front and rear springs.

• Navaho6

Posted January 30, 2014 - 01:08 PM

100mm for high speed.  98mm for tight singletrack.  With 98mm, I back off the high speed comp.1/6th of a turn, counter clockwise from oem setting.

At 165 lbs, springs are right for me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.