2000 yz426f Bleeding Front Brake

3 replies to this topic
  • 5point9

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Guys, I'm struggling to get my front brake to build any good pressure. As soon as I did the usual pull level, loosen bleed valve quickly, tighten valve quickly, release lever technique all of my pressure was gone. I finally got some pressure to build after playing with it and using a huge bottle of fluid. Argh.

I've zip tied the level over night and that helped some, at least for a while it seemed. I tried bleeding at the master cylinder bolt, and at the caliper bolt. Same or less results. Why are my brakes so spongy and weak? The pads are ok, no fluid is leaking. 

Thoughts? I've heard this year bike is hard to bleed. Is there any benefit to trying a brake bleeder/vacuum thingy?

• nuity5

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:04 PM

If the brake hose routing is similar to the layer yz's one area I've had trouble with is trapped air next to the caliper. The hose goes down the fork leg, back up then turns back down to the caliper and creates a location to trap air. Try pulling the caliper and let it hang to the floor so the brake hose is straight. Then air has a clear path to go which way it wants to go - up. I usually start by pushing fluid from the caliper back into the master with a syringe. Tap the entire length of the line to help bubbles to move. Then pump the lever to get the caliper full. Put a spacer in between the pads - I don't think it could push the pistons out with pads in but I use the spacer anyway. Then pump the master up and crack the bleeder on the caliper. I've had to go back and forth with this a few times but it has worked well for me. Clay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Buy a Mityvac and do it the easy way!

• 5point9

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ok I'll try that next! Thanks for the response.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.