Switching to a Honda front brake system?

3 replies to this topic
  • Shadetreeyz

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hey guys! I need help I've search some threads and seen people switching the yz450 brake calipers lines and master cylinder. Does any one know what year(s) I'd need to get for all those components for a 2003 yz450. All I see is 07 and 08 yz conversions. So please if it is possible let me know what year Honda 450 caliper. And master I need. Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2014 - 03:09 PM

FIt it with a master cylinder from an '03-'06 CRF450, and the brake pads from the same bike.  That's it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Vernsker

Posted January 29, 2014 - 03:22 PM

You can fit the part from a 2002-2010 crf250/450 which would be my first choice. Or a 2000+ cr250 brake would work, but dont try the cr125 i hear it doesn't have the same amount of stopping power. You could also swap for the crf230 master cylinder, it is better than the yamaha MC but not as good as the crf/cr master cylinder. 

Make sure you get a set of OEM honda brake pads, otherwise the swap isn't worth it.

I did the swap a while back in sections and i found that you really don't need the whole front brake assembly. I started with OEM crf pads in my yamaha caliper (it fits :thumbsup:) and a tusk CRF style braided brake line. stopping power was great but i had a honda parts bike so i swapped in the MC and caliper thinking it would be even better. The modulation on the crf MC is much better than my stock yamaha, but i didn't think the honda caliper changed anything. I then added a tusk over-sized (floating) brake rotor which made a HUGE difference. I'm now running the honda pads/ over-sized rotor and crf style brake line and i think it is the best combo for the money. Because of this swap, honda brakes have gotten insanely expensive on ebay....Its bad enough that i sold my crf master cylinder and caliper, i really didnt feel the performance gain was worth the$$$. So If you cant get a MC or caliper for a decent price i would recommend getting on over-sized rotor since its a better bang for your buck anyway. 

• Shadetreeyz

Posted January 29, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast replies! Im going to have to purchase a new MC anyways and my line broke on the trailer.. They parts are cheap enough to get the caliper line and Mc for about 50 bucks so I said what the heck might as well, the Yz stuff seems higher. Good to know about the tusk kit, just looked it up sounds good.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.