Why buy a 450f when you can't ride a 250f to full potential?

Yellow makes u corner good... Green make you go fast ... Red is slow ... Blue has shitty suspension... I'd say got with orange.. All around a good colour! Lol

Holy smokes I agreed with all of that generally until blue has shitty suspension and go with orange lol.  Think you have it backwards a bit there my man. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Serious question-

why an amateur rider would buy a 450 over a 250?

What is the point? Weight definitely isn't an issue, look at Malcolm Stewart, he is a big guy. Power isn't a problem, 250s can easily hit every jump a 450 can. So what is it? 

Fair question.

I am in the happy position to be able to ride my CR250F and a buddies CR450F on the same track on the same day on a fairly regular basis. For my skill level, if 1 is total beginer and 10 is a pro, I'm probably a 4, (he had his card as a youngin') and the 250 is perfect for me because there is simply a lot more power in the 450 than I can use or handle safely. However, I do ride the 250 at it's limits on parts of the track, especialy the uphills. Also, there are a couple of turns where we put jumps pretty soon coming out of them and, again, it's pretty much all the 250 can do, at my skill level, to get ready for them whereas the 450 there is a lot more margin for error. However, therein lies the rub; within that margin for error is an AWFUL lot of room for the 450 to get away from me, at my skill level, be it a straight or a corner or a jump. There is NO comparison in riding one to the other in terms of which one is heavier and way more powerful. That is not to say the 250 is slow. It's not. I'm faster on the 250 than the 450 because the 250 is more in my skill level and I ride it much smoother, make fewer and smaller mistakes with it. I COULD be faster on the 450 but, not at my skill level.

Having said that, I can see, assuming I have a good summer or two and maybe move my skill level up a notch or two, where I WILL want that extra power and that is assuming I have developed the confidence and skill to manage all that extra room for error. Two, three years ago, riding his 450 scared the crap out of me and I couldn't make a lap or two without putting my hands to sleep gripping too tight and riding too tight and now, I can manage the bike fairly well BUT, man, it's like I can FEEL the monster within just dying to get out. My 250, I've got them under pretty good control. 

Lastly, I am a big guy and can make an argument for the 450 soley on that but, to me, it's all about skill. I am fine on the 250 and it is far more appropriate to my skill level than a 450. 

For now.   heheheeehhehehehehe....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Weight definitely isn't an issue, look at Malcolm Stewart, he is a big guy. Power isn't a problem, 250s can easily hit every jump a 450 can. So what is it? 

Is it similar to small man syndrome?

Malcom Stewart is 4 inches shorter than me and 55lbs less... He is not a big guy.  I also have a lifted F350 that I used this weekend to haul 4000lbs of concrete bags and +- 4000lbs of dirt three times.  I ride a 450 because I can leave it in second gear and tractor around corners instead of clutching and shifting. 

I think small man syndrome is something envious people have made up to make themselves feel better for not being able to afford nice things.  Sorry, not trying to be an elitist prick or anything but either one of my street bikes has more power then I will ever be able to use, does that mean my next bike will be a ninja 300? Hell no.  I like 3rd gear power wheelies and flicking the wrist and passing people.

If I could justify and afford a 2014 lifted F350, I would have one.  Not sure if that is "small man syndrome" I just happen to like fast bikes and big trucks.  Personal preference.  I have had my share of crappy vehicles (1979 datsun 510 station wagon was my first car) and just prefer better things now, whether I use them to their capacity or not. 

Don't hate on people because they have something nicer/faster than you, work harder and get one yourself if that is what you want.

• Like 2

Why are we using Malcolm Stewart's 250 as the example.  His 250f is putting out about as much power as our 450s are.  I ride a 450 because I ride dirt bikes for fun and my 450 puts a huge smile on my face.  Sure I don't ride it to its full potential but who does.  I also chose a 450 because I only have one bike so my weekend motocross bike is also a street legal supermoto during the week and a 450 is much better when geared up for road use.  If you don't want a 450 then have fun on your 250.  They are both super fun to ride,  but it just makes me grin pulling the front wheel up in 4th gear and without even having to use the clutch.

• Like 1

Seen guys on local tracks riding 450's getting passed by 85's. Bigger is faster is crap. But do what you do! I could care less lol

That's me!  My son beats me on the track on his 85.  He gets me on the tight rutted turns and I real him in on the straights!  While I'm old and slow that 450 gives me confidence when I come out of a turn and there is a small double.  That extra power can sure help a slow rider if used properly.  The key point is to use only the power that matches your ability.  That's easy to do for a 54 year old but not so easy for a 20 year old novice.  I'm sticking with my 450!

• Like 1

any suggestions have a yz 125 currently, and am not getting the results I want. I ride the bike fine and all. but where I ride I would prefer a more powerful bike for making it up those hills. and a smoother bike for going down hills, and riding single track. I am 16 5'8 and about 135

any suggestions have a yz 125 currently, and am not getting the results I want. I ride the bike fine and all. but where I ride I would prefer a more powerful bike for making it up those hills. and a smoother bike for going down hills, and riding single track. I am 16 5'8 and about 135

Bottom end porting and a 144 kit. Gorr does a good job from most accounts, or you may have a good local shop for that. Yamaha 125s work great for this.