cutting the subframe to lower seat height

9 replies to this topic
  • SurfaceToAir

Posted January 28, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I was searching around here and didnt see any pics of a WR or CRF with a cut subframe to lower the seat height.

My seat is cut down already, and though I am good when I am going, the technical stuff gets a little harder at slow speeds since I can barely still touch the ground.  It sucks being short, with a 30-ish inseam...

I am looking to lower the seat another inch.

The bike is a 2008 WRF 450.

I am tossing around cutting the subframe down. The issues I see running into when I do are:

* The exhaust wont bolt up any more, so I have to mod that.

* Seat wont fit against the tank the same way, since the seat will be tilted away from the tank.

* Airbox wont fit against the carb the same. May have to make mods for that..

* Possibly the tire will rub when bottomed out..

Has anyone here cut their subframe and can comment? Do you have any pics?

thanks-

Dustin

• lourencom

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:46 PM

before you try to cut your subfram, wich I wouldn't recomend. I would try to lower your race sag and front forks. Anothe alternative is to use a lowered shock lingage.

http://www.motosport...ring-Link-Black

Edited by lourencom, January 28, 2014 - 02:53 PM.

• DRZ04

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:25 PM

I put the Devol link on my 2013 WR450F and it did lower the rear of the bike a full 1 1/4". I also raised the forks in the clamps. It is still too tall but now instead of 1 foot on tip toe I can now get the balls of both feet on the ground. I also had SDG cut down my stock seat about an 1" to 1 1/2". I like you have a 29" to 30" inseam and it is a pain at low speed when you need to dab. I am no longer a racer so I don't mind the "adverse effect", as some say, to the suspension it has. You are correct about shortening the sub-frame changing how other items bolt & fit up.

• stevethe

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:57 PM

I think one of your biggest problems might be the tire hitting the fender.

I believe Graves did cut the sub frames maybe a half inch on the supermoto race bikes. However they have 17" wheels.

If I was to do my suspension all over again on my dirt wr450 I might lower the shock and forks an inch.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:58 PM

Sag is set to he proper amount, but I might be able to go more.. Forks are also up in the tripple clamps. I guess putting a lowering link in there is a good, cheap thing to try. I have been tossing it around, though so many people discourage it. But yeah- its a removable hard part that if I don't like, i can take out..

I called Factory Connection today about lowering the suspension..  Will run me about 700 plus shipping.. So a lowering link is probably the best thing to try next.

Cutting the subframe seemed like a good way, but now it seems more complicated that it seemed on the surface.  I can TIG weld fine, but the rest of the stuff attached to it seems to be too effected.

cheers-

Dustin

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:11 PM

It's not that hard to shim the rear shock. I lowered my supermoto with Racetech shims when it had stock suspension. The forks can also be done mostly yourself. I had Racetech machine a groove for the C-clip. You might check around for a u tube DIY.

The lowering links don't help the suspension geometry to work well.

• stevethe

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hum fork lowering for smarties. Found in the suspension section.

http://www.thumperta...ks-for-dummies/

• CaptDan

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:09 AM

What some of the YZ 2-stroke guys have done to lower the rear of the seat is simply slot the lower mounting holes on the subframe.

An additional 1/4" slotting on the holes lowers the back of the seat about 1/2".

As others have said, drastic modification (cutting) on the subframe brings the risk of the rear tire contacting hard with the fender.

Slotting the holes a little bit at a time allows you to lower the subframe in increments, and not over shoot the modification.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:15 PM

@SteveThe- thank you. That is helpful. I didnt understand before how the shims would lower it. Thats a good article. I could probably do that work myself.

CaptDan- I might also try that. Seems like a better way than going full tilt on the cut and weld. I wonder if a half inch is worth the trouble/ modification.  Will noodle on that a bit.

Thanks guys.

I'm still curious to see a pic of a bike with the subframe altered.

cheers-

Dustin

• killerbee2112

Posted April 05, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Might check out Yamalink.com.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.