I think clutch is bad

4 replies to this topic
  • raptorgabe

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:07 AM

I put my bike in gear hold the clutch in and it kinda lurkes forword like it wants to go is this norm or is the clutch bad ? If so what clutch is a good one to use and can I change it my self ?
Also bike is a 2010 yz450f

• Thommo_400f

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:43 AM

If it is a new symptom.
It is possibly a warped plate or clutch material broken loose and stuck between plates.
Maybe from overheating.
Also different oils can cause plate swelling and drag.
Try fresh recommended oil, if no better, inspect clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Start with verifying that the cable is adjusted correctly; you should have 3mm of free cable travel at the lever.  If you have more than that, it would be a factor in your problem.  Less than that will make the clutch slip.

Common causes are incorrect adjustment, warped plates, or damaged springs.  If the thrust faces in the clutch basket or the clutch hub are badly notched where they contact the plates, that can also be a problem. I recommend using genuine Yamaha plates if you want to be certain of the results.  Most people with sound basic mechanical skills can rebuild a clutch fairly easily.  Changing the hub out is only a little more difficult, but changing the basket using an aftermarket part like Hinson or Barnett is a bit of a challenge for basic garage maintenance type guys.

• raptorgabe

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I pulled the clutch out and inspected and all was good and hub was good also I must be being paranoid from the noise !! I'm used to my raptor so it must just be me !!

• 05CRF250

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:40 PM

Clutch plates will have a form of hydraulic lock due to the thin film of oil between the plates. When you shove her into gear the clutch grabs slightly then breaks the surface tension. Nothing unusual, most bikes do this.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.