Early 450 Fuel Capacity/Range

7 replies to this topic
  • mrgem

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:47 AM

I am weighing whether or not to invest in a larger-capacity tank for my just-purchased 2003 WR450. The owner's/shop manual says the factory tank holds 2.64 gallons. It also says that the reserve is about 1/3 of a gallon.  I've seen others on this forum claim that the total capacity of the 2003 tank is over 3 gallons.

Does anyone know if the 2.64-gallons cited in my shop manual's number INCLUDES the 1/3 gallon reserve capacity? If the reserve capacity is separate from the 2.64 gallons listed, then it sounds like total capacity is right at 3 gallons...

I'm told that WRs are not exactly thrifty when it comes to fuel use. I have been spoiled by my two DRZ400s, which have averaged over 45 mpg - even when riding in the worst terrain. The group I ride with typically rides about 70 miles each day, and I've not had to refuel the Suzukis on a typical ride. But it sounds like that may be asking too much of this WR.

Your thoughts/experience?"

• GuyGraham

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:24 AM

mpg is a terrible way to judge riding range, because of the huge variation in terrain and conditions - time is much better method

My 08 uses no more than 4L per hour, but more like 3-3.5

Only once did i use 4.25L and that was on a very fast track

Single track leisure riding and you are going to get no where near 4l/hr

As to your bikes tank capacity, why not just fill it, and drain it into a measuring jug/bucket and then you will know for sure

Edited by GuyGraham, January 26, 2014 - 10:05 AM.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:44 AM

My 2003 WR450 takes about 10 liters to fill it up when I run it down to about as empty as I can get it and still ride it to the gas station.

10 liters = 2.64 gallons so I guess there is your answer on the capacity.

For mileage I can get right around 100 miles out of a tank full on this bike.  That is a mix of riding single track, uphills, downhills, flat two-track, etc.

Usually go on reserve around 100 or 110 miles depending.  

But as they say,  "your mileage may vary"     :ride:

• mrgem

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:53 AM

My 2003 WR450 takes about 10 liters to fill it up when I run it down to about as empty as I can get it and still ride it to the gas station.

10 liters = 2.64 gallons so I guess there is your answer on the capacity.

For mileage I can get right around 100 miles out of a tank full on this bike.  That is a mix of riding single track, uphills, downhills, flat two-track, etc.

Usually go on reserve around 100 or 110 miles depending.  

But as they say,  "your mileage may vary"     :ride:

So...Sounds like you're getting about 35-36 mpg on varying terrain and at varying speeds. So 70 miles on a tank should be conservatively doable. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:00 PM

25-35 mpg depending on terrain and level of enthusiasm. 

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 26, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I'm typically at or just under about 25 mpg. On the dunes, forget it - my Tundra probably gets better mileage.

• mrgem

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:03 AM

25 mpg? Man, that's depressing! As I said, I've been spoiled by riding this Suzuki. It's not as powerful, and it certainly doesn't have the same level of performance, but I've never gotten less than 40 mpg and that is riding in the mountains. 

Thanks.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Yes dunes or sand in general (such as riding on a beach) will kill the fuel mileage.  

70 miles on one tank should be no problem unless you are riding in sand or doing massive

hillclimbs the whole day.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.