How to get into racing when you're older

76 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR

Posted August 15, 2014 - 12:38 AM

That is awesome - congrats on running that CO race! There were a few people out there from our series as well and I actually would have been there too but had a prior commitment last weekend. Wish I could have made it. You ought to look into the Gallup GP in Gallup, NM Sept 13-14. Gallup is just a beautiful place to race and the town is really cool. I've never seen the fastest pros like Cody Webb, but I get a similar feeling with our A/expert riders out there. I don't know how they stay so fast for such a long race and deal with the courses so seemingly effortlessly.

• DRS

Posted October 08, 2014 - 12:03 PM

My saving grace was many years spent riding spooky, ill handling 2 strokes in the 80s.  These new bikes are pussycats compared to them !

Growing up I had a Suzuki DS100 (dual range transmission) and then a DS185. Mine was a 1980, but wasn't much different than the 1977 model. http://yeoldecyclesh...p-carousel-4344 Mine looked like this. http://www.cyclechao...zuki-DS185T.jpg I rode the wheels off that thing. I rode it until I got interested in girls and then not much more.

When I was 22 I bought a GS1100. All 108 HP of it. I rode it for a summer and then sold it. I found legal, safe street riding pretty boring compared to my dirt bike adventures.

I also rode a couple borrowed dirt bikes on a couple day trips. A brand new KDX250 and XR350R. I like both of them, but loved the KDX. Just the right amount of power, on and off the pipe.

Save for a quick ride on a KDX200, I didn't touch a dirt bike again until this summer when I was 46 years old. I bought a 2012 WR450F with the competition ECU.

My friend is an ex pro woods rider and races Vet Expert. Its been a bit of a learning curve, but its also been a complete blast.

i'm trying to figure out which one those SPOOKY 80's 2 strokes you spent years riding that makes the modern bikes look like pussycats?    if you think a kdx is a wild 2stroke just wow...  LOL

• cynicryder

Posted October 08, 2014 - 06:35 PM

i'm trying to figure out which one those SPOOKY 80's 2 strokes you spent years riding that makes the modern bikes look like pussycats?    if you think a kdx is a wild 2stroke just wow...  LOL

I think he was saying the kdx is a nicer ride than the xr350r, which I agree.  something like a rm500 or cr480r or any 80's 2T MX bike without power valve... would make my ktm 2 stroke seem like a pussycat. 

Edited by cynicryder, October 08, 2014 - 06:36 PM.

• DRS

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I think he was saying the kdx is a nicer ride than the xr350r, which I agree.  something like a rm500 or cr480r or any 80's 2T MX bike without power valve... would make my ktm 2 stroke seem like a pussycat. 

yeah u missed the point...

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 15, 2014 - 09:48 PM

None of these photos show the nasty dirtbike-abusing rock gardens in narrow washes and deep whoops, but I really learned a lot and became a better rider with a season of desert racing.  I wish I had more seasons out here so I could get better - those courses kicked my butt every time.  Moving to FL soon, and looking forward to finding some hare scrambles out there to get involved in and learning woods racing.  Yeah I know these are of my YZ, but it's the same subject.  Definitely preferred racing the YZ over the WR, hands down, mainly because of the weight and revalved suspension, but I did miss that 4-stroke instant torque at times.  The WR is still a great trail rider and a very good bike, but I love the YZ250 2 smoker!!

Second to last race of the year, late September in Gallup, NM (GP race).

wm_IMG_9297-X2.jpg

wm_IMG_9167-X3.jpg

Last race of the year in Socorro, NM.  There were a lot of DNFs with injuries and I was honestly just glad to finish this race.  It was brutal.  Without exaggerating, and anyone who's raced here knows - the whoops are the size of VW Beetles in some places and they are mostly hard pack and covered in sharp rocks, and wherever there's no whoops, there's continuous big rocks or deep sand.  25 mile loops...  Awesome time!

wm_IMG_2035-X3.jpg

wm_IMG_2583-X3.jpg

Thanks to all who offered up advice and encouragement earlier in this thread.

A little WR love from a race earlier in the year down in Las Cruces, NM (previously posted and my favorite picture - lesson learned: if you see the camera people, get that front wheel up!  Makes you look faster...).

wm_IMG_4046-X3-1.jpg

• cynicryder

Posted November 16, 2014 - 08:34 AM

that looks like fun. great photos.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:14 AM

lesson learned: if you see the camera people, get that front wheel up!  Makes you look faster...).

Here's a little desert race wisdom: if you see the camera people,.... Slow Down until you find out what's so exciting they wanted to take pictures of it happening. :thumbsup:

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 17, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Here's a little desert race wisdom: if you see the camera people,.... Slow Down until you find out what's so exciting they wanted to take pictures of it happening. :thumbsup:

But if I slow down any more, I'll be dangerously close to stopping!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2014 - 12:37 PM

But if I slow down any more, I'll be dangerously close to stopping!

Ah, that.  Well, then, carry on.  Just be sure you don't have a picture like this taken:

Poofsm.jpg

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 17, 2014 - 01:42 PM

Ah, that. Well, then, carry on. Just be sure you don't have a picture like this taken:

Yikes! That looks like one of those unrecoverable head-shake 5th gear high-sides in the whoops. I will keep to my "slow guy who finishes races and goes to work on Monday" pictures for now...

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 17, 2014 - 03:19 PM

On the other hand, if I ever do end up in that kind of a mess, I hope someone at least gets a picture...

• cubera

Posted November 17, 2014 - 04:40 PM

You get beaten by guys on quads?

I would be willing to bet hard cash there are several quad racers on the Am/Ex line in District 38  who would beat 99% of the riders on this forum myself included. This is in dusty, silty, whooped open desert competition, of course.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I would be willing to bet hard cash there are several quad racers on the Am/Ex line in District 38  who would beat 99% of the riders on this forum myself included. This is in dusty, silty, whooped open desert competition, of course.

You and I know these people by name.  I've seen one local gentleman who now rides a quad for Yamaha who has shown up and come close to the overall win after starting 3-5 minutes behind the first line.  I also know a couple of women quad racers who could (and do) beat most people.  One routinely finishes in the top 20 with the same 5 minute handicap.  I'd put up $20 even money on either of them against pretty much anyone who I didn't know. 

Quads do have certain limitations, but they also let you get away with other crap you could never pull off on a bike.

80% rider....

• YamaLink

Posted November 20, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Was talking about this thread to a buddy over breakfast this morn, and he reminded me (really laughed at me) about my getting back into racing as an older person" after a long layoff: Mid-pack start, moved to front, tire cross-rutted, fell down in slow motion, foot peg hit back of my helmet, woke up thinking I'm in Italy working in an olive factory. No joke.

Decided to try off-road racing after layoff: pull to left on fireroad, race through willow branch, find cut tree sticking out perpendicular to mountain, borrowed YZ flies off mountain, big burly mountain man carries me down steep road to ambulance. Scene out of Brokeback Mountain but with helmets instead of cowboy hats.

Yeah, I try not to take time away from racing. Translation: I don't race anymore, ha.

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 20, 2014 - 02:47 PM

Well, there's a Brokeback Mountain reference....I guess this thread's gone as far as it's gonna go. Thanks everybody.

And damn the quads!!

• cubera

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Too funny....Brokeback and quads in the same post....but I digress :devil:  :lol:

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 20, 2014 - 09:46 PM

Too funny....Brokeback and quads in the same post....but I digress :devil: :lol:

Coincidence?
Most likely.
Not.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.