TM Designworks case saver - 2005 WR450

7 replies to this topic
  • eRRmmm

Posted January 23, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I've found several posts on these case savers and decided they look like the best protection in case of chain derailment.

I ordered one though a local Aus suppleir, when it turned up it clearly didn't fit.  They've promised to refund my payment but say that TMD don't make a case saver for my bike.

The TM Designworks web site doesn't list a part for the 2003-06 WR450.

The TT store however has them for sale https://www.thumpert...K-p4107596.html

Can someone confirm that the case saver in the TT store will fit a 2005 WR450 as advertised?  It's a long way to send it back if it doesn't fit.

• woods-rider

Posted January 24, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Your bike came with an aluminum case saver FYI.

• eRRmmm

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Your bike came with an aluminum case saver FYI.

Yeah, I know, but they are not much more than a token effort by Yamaha.  I can get some heavy duty alloy ones easy enough, but the plastic TMD units look like a good concept.

I've sent an email to the TT web store, so we'll see what they say.

• highmarker

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:39 PM

don't even have to throw a chain, get a little rock in there and it can break out one the mounting bolts. Why the ones that fit against the case are better protection.  For the high price you might try and make one, cutting board material.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted January 24, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, I know, but they are not much more than a token effort by Yamaha.

I threw a chain on my 2006 and the stock case saver did just fine. There were some marks on it from the chain, but other than that it was fine.

• still2smokin

Posted January 24, 2014 - 07:18 PM

I've found several posts on these case savers and decided they look like the best protection in case of chain derailment.

I ordered one though a local Aus suppleir, when it turned up it clearly didn't fit.  They've promised to refund my payment but say that TMD don't make a case saver for my bike.

The TM Designworks web site doesn't list a part for the 2003-06 WR450.

The TT store however has them for sale https://www.thumpert...K-p4107596.html

Can someone confirm that the case saver in the TT store will fit a 2005 WR450 as advertised?  It's a long way to send it back if it doesn't fit.

My buddy put the TM Design works unit on his 06 WR . He bought the yzf version and just dremeled out the area

for the starter casing and left the original case saver underneath it . 

But he said he wouldn't buy it again,  not worth the $$$.

• eRRmmm

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:23 PM

Justin from the TT store confirmed that the TM Designworks case saver in the TT store will fit my 2005 WR450F - they make a case saver for the YFZ450 quad, and this is the same as the WR case saver.

The TM Designworks web site lists the case saver for the YFZ, but not for the WRF.

I've ordered one - for $40 including shipping to Aus it seems like cheap protection considering the cost of replacing the cases, and it's not worth my time to try to make one.

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2014 - 03:45 PM

The stock part is not a "case saver", it's a chain guide, an anti-derailment device, if you like.  It's function is to contact the chain rollers and guide the chain back down onto the front sprocket if it should become too far elevated above it during deceleration.  If you pitch the chain off by breaking a master link or whatever, the odds are that the chain will simply rip the mounting bosses off the case, usually causing an oil leak. 

Some of the plastic aftermarket ones may be slightly more protective, if as highmarker pointed out, they bear directly against the crankcase at the stator housing, but only by a little bit. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.