New to me, low hour 2009 YZ450F!

9 replies to this topic
  • gafireman

Posted January 22, 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'm finally back in the 4 stroke world! I traded my mint 2005 KX250 for a one owner, low hour 09 YZ450F this past weekend. I was very skeptical at first because he would be trading a much newer bike for an older bike with a few more hours on it. He claims he tried the 4 stroke for a couple of years but just really wanted to go back to a 2 stroke. Personally, I think he may have thought he would have an easier time selling the 2 stroke over the 450, but who knows. So of course I looked it over thoroughly and checked all the fluids, bearings, etc. The oil was clean, air filter was clean and oiled(and inside of the air boot was spotless as well), coolant was full, underside of bike was very clean with no obvious leaks. The only thing I found was a missing pipe spring but he had already told me about that, so no biggie. It fired up on the 2nd kick and idles very smoothly. Took it for a spin through the woods and ran it through all the gears several times with no issues.

It shows 24.1 hours on the hour meter and the guy claims the meter was installed before it was ever ridden. The bike is in amazing condition and I honestly have no reason to doubt him. He had all the paperwork to show where he bought it new as a left over model from Mountain Motorsports in December of 2011. So basically, this bike is only 2 years old and almost all stock. The only aftermarket parts are a full Ti-4R Pro Circuit exhaust, new chain/sprockets, 2010 front fender and fresh tires and grips.

I was able to take it Monster Mountain (AL) on Monday and get in several motos on it. First thing I did was set the sag at 95mm, set all the clickers to stock, and then move the bars to the most forward position(I am 6'1, 190 lbs). It took me several laps to adjust to riding a 450 again but after I got used to the power delivery and torque I was loving it. I love how the power is very linear and doesn't have a massive hit anywhere like my old KX450F did. And of course I can ride it much longer without getting tired versus my 2 stroke. It's almost like cheating, I can ride the entire course in 3rd and 4th, while on my 250 I was going from 2nd all the way to 5th.

The only thing I noticed was the front end had a bit of push in the middle of the corners, especially in the sand section of the track. In fact, I low sided in one sweeping corner pretty good but luckily the sand was soft!(I've got it on GoPro, I'll try to post it tomorrow) I did some research and saw that some of you guys suggested moving the clamps down/forks up 5-10mm and slow down the rebound in the forks a bit so I am gonna give that a try. I don't have any great pics of it at the moment but if it warms up enough tomorrow, I'll try to get a few.

3FDBFF09-A10E-493B-8FAB-BD29135E1E2A_zps

• f150jokerstyle

Posted January 23, 2014 - 11:16 PM

I just got mine back in one piece tonight and did a few hot laps around the neighborhood and I agree 100% on your perception of the power. Congratulations on your new bike.

• gafireman

Posted February 02, 2014 - 08:37 PM

I just got mine back in one piece tonight and did a few hot laps around the neighborhood and I agree 100% on your perception of the power. Congratulations on your new bike.

Thanks man. I slowed down the rebound just a bit and moved the forks up 5mm,  it made a tremendous difference in the vague/pushy front end feeling.

A couple buddies and I went  out to War Eagle Mx in Auburn, Alabama yesterday. Really fun, sandy track with a great layout. Threw together a quick vid of a couple laps around the track. Hope y'all enjoy!

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:12 AM

NICE -- I like that camera angle - is that the side of your helemt?

Also - for the front try a Michelin MS3 or MH3 - I like the MH3 even in sand over the S12 front.

• gafireman

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Also - for the front try a Michelin MS3 or MH3 - I like the MH3 even in sand over the S12 front.

Thanks. Yeah, the mount is on the side of my helmet just below my goggle strap.  I prefer it over the top mount because it offers a better vantage point of the track IMO and it also captures more of the bike and my body. Similar to this:

GoPro-HD-Helmet-HERO-1080p-Side-Mounted_

I have never ran Michelins before but I will definitely look into them, thanks for the heads up.

Edited by gafireman, February 03, 2014 - 07:29 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gafireman

Posted February 21, 2014 - 05:31 PM

Finally got around to ordering some graphics and a new seat cover. I decided on the 2012 JGR graphics because I like the simple clean, lines and as an added bonus, I actually drive a Toyota!
Also ordered a little bit of bling(anodized blue engine plug kit, oil plug, and wheel spacers) but I haven't recieved all of the parts yet.

8F1AC36C-B320-4D3F-927A-E3952A5DF393_zps
D6C63B89-C294-4F0F-BEEF-3043B043EFB2_zps

• crb357

Posted February 27, 2014 - 06:50 AM

You like an MH3 over an S12 front in sand??? Really? I've never heard anyone say that before. Hard to find a better working front tire than the S12.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted February 27, 2014 - 04:43 PM

Hard to find a better working front tire than the S12.

On the rear?  Yes or try the Sand4 and don't tell your buddies - it pulls like a paddle tire in the loam / sand.

The MH3 in the front just has a better tread design - imo ... all my riding buddies use and like the S12 front, but i think I can pull a tighter line with the MH3 and get better grip in the sand and harder packed areas.. 

• crb357

Posted February 28, 2014 - 12:10 PM

I've heard of others preferring the M12 over the S12 for the front, but I've never even seen anyone using a MH3 in my 14 years of riding. Good for you then. It is mostly Soft to Int around here. Thanks.

• gafireman

Posted February 28, 2014 - 01:50 PM

Couple pics from this weekend...
8746FAEA-FC80-4D48-A426-D0FAAAD2D9B1_zps
260E319B-9298-468D-B95E-655B5A6B6F1C_zps

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.