Engine relocation kit worth it for novice.

14 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:04 AM

It's cold and snowing so time for some projects. All the info I can find is pretty dated does this product have noticeable gains or is silly for me as a not so fast guy to think I will notice. I have noticed that very small changes can make a difference. Like too here any input. I asked this question a while ago but the thread went in a different direction and I never really got much input. Thanks.

Edited by Mtrain730, January 22, 2014 - 05:35 AM.

• mxbrewski

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:07 AM

Yes. I have found that it really helps eliminate the light front feeling. You also need to get rid of that Dunlop 51 if you have one on the front. I put a Bridgestone 403 90/100x21 on the front and now the bite is better and so much more predictable. (remember to pick a terrain specific tire for your needs, not just my recommendation as I ride mostly hardpack/disked/clay)

Edited by mxbrewski, January 22, 2014 - 06:11 AM.

• Jdrost72

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:20 AM

I bought one for my yz450 I haven't but it on yet I was going to till I read the directions. There's a lot of stuff to pull off so I left it alone. But let me no how it works. I might have to make time to put it on

• Ray_B.

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I did mine and noticed a small/marginal difference in the front end. I put a Devol transformer adjustable lowering linkage on the rear end and it made a huge difference. (5 seconds a lap at the mx track and much improved handling in the woods)

• Mtrain730

Posted January 22, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the input guys. It seems like the little bit of info I can dig up has opinions all over the place people that think its the greatest thing in the world people that think it has made very slight improvement ad people that think its all in your head and people just want too believe it has made a difference. I am not super fast so for me it might be splitting hairs. Oh and I am trying a different front besides the mx51. When I do play around with set up I like when you can get the rear too controllably slide out when you twist the right hand I figured this might help. I have already done some things that helped. . I realize rider skill can help that too. I def don't have any complaints with the rear hooking up.

Edited by Mtrain730, January 22, 2014 - 08:41 AM.

• rickallen124

Posted January 22, 2014 - 05:16 PM

If where you ride is loamy/sandy I wouldn't do it as the light front end is an advantage. If the tracks are intermediate to hard pack I would do it as it does help the front end bite. Another benefit is the front wheel isn't wanting to reach for the sky when you get on the throttle. Suspension set up, I had mine re-valved, made a big difference. I had my suspension done first before the relocate kit was available.

• swaldrop

Posted January 22, 2014 - 06:29 PM

It helped me for sure on my '11. Whether a change to your bike is strictly physiological or not is inconsequential. If you make a change and you believe it helps, you will ride better because you will have more confidence in the bike. Any time I am feeling stale on the bike I like to mess with tire pressure or move a clicker or two. Always makes it better!

The logic behind the engine relocation is sound so for me, it was worth the $150 risk. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I also don't entirely agree with the terrain requirement. I ride pretty much all sand and I am not fond of a light front end in sand. The more traction the better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted January 22, 2014 - 10:34 PM

I agree with with every thing you just said and agree even if some thing only helps a tiny bit if it makes a huge impact in your confidence it is worth it and I agree the it is logical thinking I understand the idea I guess the part I struggle with a little is understanding how moving your engine less than a eighth of a inch could be noticeable again I am not saying it isn't that's just the part that stumps me a little. It's just crazy too me how little your actually moving it. It might be fun too see if I can tell though if I decide too try it. I appreciate the input this was the type of stuff I wanted too hear about by posting this thread.

Edited by Mtrain730, January 22, 2014 - 10:36 PM.

• SparksXR426

Posted January 23, 2014 - 08:42 PM

I think it depends on whether or not your having an issue with the way the bike handles now. I found when I got my 12 I was stoked initially on how it turned faster with less input compared to my 08. Pretty quick I realized the bike sometimes just seemed to go wherever the freak it felt like and hunted around all the time in the corners. I shoulder checked a lot of trees the first 6 months I had it. I put a link on mine and it settled the bike down quite a bit. I can't comment on the relocation kit, and I'm curious as well, my buddy was supposed to put one on his 11 so we could swap back and forth and compare noted but that didn't happen. Oh well.

• Mtrain730

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:23 PM

I'm not a fast guy but that's the only thing I can say negative is some times I have trouble getting the bike too hold a line or turn sharp. Probly rider error too. One of my issues that's was pointed out is initially I was light for the stock springs. I have since put on about 25 pounds so I'm hesitant to respring until I ride it again. What link did you use I'm curios but isn't that more for settling the back end down then turning because that's really my only complaint.

• SparksXR426

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'm not a fast guy but that's the only thing I can say negative is some times I have trouble getting the bike too hold a line or turn sharp. Probly rider error too. One of my issues that's was pointed out is initially I was light for the stock springs. I have since put on about 25 pounds so I'm hesitant to respring until I ride it again. What link did you use I'm curios but isn't that more for settling the back end down then turning because that's really my only complaint.

I ended up using a PC link on mine, I think the adjustable links offered are probably a better option. I find it made the bike handle far more consistently and took away some of the funky mid corner traits. It may not turn quite as tight as it did before but I think it was a good trade off. I'm now far more confident in what the bike will do. I rode my buddy's new RM a little while back and wow, that thing is a razor by comparison, even with no setup at all.

• Mtrain730

Posted January 24, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Good info maybe the link is a option thanks yea setting up a bike is pretty new too me. I have actually had a couple bikes but I just ripped around the trails I just started racing so just trying too have some sort of a decent setup along with practice. Ill have this bike for a while (wife would murder me in my sleep if I traded it in). So just trying too learn as much as I can about it. The only problem I am having is i can't rail corners like I would like too I'm aware that comes with practice too but like every one I want the bike too work with me not against me.

• mxbrewski

Posted January 25, 2014 - 07:49 AM

I didnt state that I have the link and radiator lowering kit also included with the engine relocation kit. This combo along with a Bridgestone front has made my YZ450F much more stable and planted whether I'm cornering, attacking a sweeping corner, or off the gas and the front gets unloaded. I noticed a definate difference and I feel it was a positive.

• Mtrain730

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Is your suspenion stock except for the link I have heard the link and the relocation kit don't work good together I assume you don't agree?

Edited by Mtrain730, January 25, 2014 - 09:47 AM.

• mxbrewski

Posted January 26, 2014 - 06:31 AM

No, suspension is modified. And I already had the link on before I put the kit on.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.