wr450f feel heavy?

24 replies to this topic
  • wadzi90

Posted January 20, 2014 - 11:52 PM

Im looking at possibly picking up a wr450f years 2008 and 2012....How do these bikes feel as in weifgt? Ive never ridden one and it sais they weigh up to 270 pounds.

Posted January 21, 2014 - 05:22 AM

What are you comparing it too?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:18 AM

The WR's are not top heavy, so when riding they do not feel heavy.  They are extremely well balanced.

CRFX's are top heavy, are a few pounds heavier, but feel 30lbs heavier when riding. They too are well balanced.

KTM's are lighter and feel lighter, not top heavy, but are considerably different in weight distribution front to rear...more like an old MX bike, making the front wheel 'too' light for some people.

They have a strange weight center longitudinally, so cornering at speed requires more rider input, especially if you are losing traction up front.

Unfortunately, Suzuki's RMX and Kawsaki's KLX did not succeed here in the states. The RMX is popular in europe where it still exists.

That is my overly informed answer.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, January 21, 2014 - 06:21 AM.

• stevethe

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:36 AM

I don't think they feel heavy for a 450.

However if you buy a used non fuel injection model make sure you change the stock base valves in the forks. If the little valve type spring sacks it allows the front end to sack into the mid travel of the forks. The bike will feel heavy and handles horribly and rides like a real p.o.s.

• YamaLink

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Thankfully they do not ride like there's a sack of potatoes on the handlebar like my 450X did. Yes, they are heavy when picking up over logs all day, but they ride much lighter, if that makes sense.

• wadzi90

Posted January 21, 2014 - 01:10 PM

It all makes perfect sense, thanks guys...I just never got a chance to ride on...I'm coming off a yz 450 but grew up on thumpers so I want another one, and I love the durability of yamahas.. I'm also looking at a ktm 450 xcw.. I've heard a lot of ktm haters but its a sweet bike and always wins dirtrider 450 enduro shootout.

Posted January 21, 2014 - 01:44 PM

It all makes perfect sense, thanks guys...I just never got a chance to ride on...I'm coming off a yz 450 but grew up on thumpers so I want another one, and I love the durability of yamahas.. I'm also looking at a ktm 450 xcw.. I've heard a lot of ktm haters but its a sweet bike and always wins dirtrider 450 enduro shootout.

What year Yz450 do/did you have? The Yz's ergos have had 3 major changes since the last steel frame, the Wr has had 2 as well. The 450exc is a great bike but again has seen a few changes since 07 that has drastically changed the way that bike feels.

• wadzi90

Posted January 21, 2014 - 02:00 PM

I had a 2004 yz...

• Navaho6

Posted January 21, 2014 - 02:15 PM

It would feel heavy compared any MX bike.  It feels heavy if you run too much race sag.  I tried it with 104mm and it felt like my old 2006 WR.  Set it back to 100mm and it feels more agile and lighter.  

Another thing that helps with the perception of a lighter feel is running a more aggressive FI setting. The MX and FMF maps give the bike a  harder hit on the bottom which makes it feel lighter compared to a softer FI setting (at least for me).

Edited by Navaho6, January 21, 2014 - 02:16 PM.

Posted January 22, 2014 - 05:55 AM

I had a 2004 yz...

Compared to a 04 Yz the WR will feel like a completely different bike. Picking the bike up from it laying on its side the Yz will feel lighter but when riding the WR will feel more nimble, the front will feel lighter and it will turn better. IMO, the steel frame Yz's have a very top heavy feel to them that I never got use to and they just seemed to push in the corners unless you really got up over the bars. Steep down hills and aggressive braking into corners is where the weight of the WR stands out but I contribute a lot of that to the suspension being to soft and creating to much drop in the front forks. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wadzi90

Posted January 22, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Yeah I loved my yz but I grew up on enduros and feel the most comfortable on one....I'm just torn between a wr, crf450x, and a 450 xcw....250 pounds or more just seems real heavy

• cwallershasta

Posted January 22, 2014 - 11:23 AM

I switch over from a 08 YZ 450 really love it, but this 12 WR is much better for off road.  The only time it feels heavy is when I'm picking it up off the ground. The Litium battery also made a big difference from the wieght of the stock one.

• Unsp0kn

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:08 PM

My WR450 rides lighter than my KLX400. They are still heavy to pick up, both equally suck in that department, but the WR feels more nimble, has way more snap and just reacts more quickly. My KLX now makes a great Supertard to ride around town.

• wadzi90

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:42 PM

I switch over from a 08 YZ 450 really love it, but this 12 WR is much better for off road.  The only time it feels heavy is when I'm picking it up off the ground. The Litium battery also made a big difference from the wieght of the stock one.

How much does the lithium battery weigh compared to stock

• Unsp0kn

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:47 PM

How much does the lithium battery weigh compared to stock

When I put an EVO 8 cell in my KLX, I want to say it was 4lbs lighter than the stock.

• wadzi90

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:51 PM

not much....

• wadzi90

Posted January 22, 2014 - 01:01 PM

The WR's are not top heavy, so when riding they do not feel heavy.  They are extremely well balanced.

CRFX's are top heavy, are a few pounds heavier, but feel 30lbs heavier when riding. They too are well balanced.

KTM's are lighter and feel lighter, not top heavy, but are considerably different in weight distribution front to rear...more like an old MX bike, making the front wheel 'too' light for some people.

They have a strange weight center longitudinally, so cornering at speed requires more rider input, especially if you are losing traction up front.

Unfortunately, Suzuki's RMX and Kawsaki's KLX did not succeed here in the states. The RMX is popular in europe where it still exists.

That is my overly informed answer.

How does your x compare to the wr.....I see you have a 2005, does it have valve problems(ive heard a lot about that in thos years) and I also heard they feel cramped for taller riders....Off topic kinda but its still in comparison with the wr since you've had both....What do you like better? I read what you said about weight, but im talkin power, suspension, etc...Thers a nice 2005 x in my area going for 2500

Edited by wadzi90, January 22, 2014 - 01:03 PM.

• cwallershasta

Posted January 22, 2014 - 01:32 PM

With the Shorai, Id say more like six pounds. But the difference in the way the bike feels is substancial because that wieght is up high. Plus better cranking power.

• Navaho6

Posted January 23, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Shorai battery is 3.17 lbs lighter than oem - http://shoraipower.c...=8259&year=8259

Edited by Navaho6, January 23, 2014 - 02:00 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:17 PM

How does your x compare to the wr.....

I see you have a 2005, does it have valve problems(ive heard a lot about that in thos years) and

I also heard they feel cramped for taller riders....

Off topic kinda but its still in comparison with the wr since you've had both....What do you like better?

I read what you said about weight, but im talkin power, suspension, etc...

Thers a nice 2005 x in my area going for 2500

WR, X, KLX, whatever. 

It has to be set up for YOU to work well for YOU.

Having said that; I would never take my WR out in the desert to do 50 mph whoop fields. It's way too busy and short to be competitive or comfortable. That where the X shines.

The X being more top heavy, takes much more concentration at 5mph and under on tough terrain; the WR has no problem with it.

The faster you run the X, the better it handles. 

All WR's before 2012 has absolutely terrible suspension for anything but sit-down riding. The bottom valve in the fork can be destroyed in 15 min of hard riding (plastic).

The X comes delivered with some of the best suspension on the planet (but it does need re-valving).

All Honda CRF's need to have their Titanium coated valves converted to Stainless Steel to be reliable. I did mine at 150 hours. Once that is done they are almost as indestructible as the WR motor.

The Honda's fit, finish, motor build quality are superior to the Yamaha.

The Yamaha motor is still moving considerably more mass internally, and you can feel it. It is a much slower reving motor. This is not bad, it is just different.

...oh, and then there is my CRF450R, set up for low speed single track......now that's another story

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.