02 wr 426, 3rd gear sucks!!!any improvements?

9 replies to this topic
  • GIXXER_JAMES

Posted January 07, 2004 - 09:13 PM

It seems that 1st and 2nd gear are fairly close and then there is third gear which seems to far apart in the transmission. Whenever I go into high speed turns I have to downshift into 2nd to keep the rpm's up. This is causing me to shift uselessly back on forth on tight swithcbacks.

Would changing the sprockets sizes help noticeably or is that just the wr426?

Thanks

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 08, 2004 - 12:06 AM

The 450 cam mod will fix that by giving you a much broader power band :)

• Fryboy

Posted January 08, 2004 - 08:17 AM

Hey Gixxer,

What gearing are you running? Stock? I went up to a 52 in the rear and it made my 3rd much more user friendly.

Fryboy

• x2smoker

Posted January 08, 2004 - 10:07 AM

It seems that 1st and 2nd gear are fairly close and then there is third gear which seems to far apart in the transmission

That is what makes it a "WR" (Wide-Ratio). Maybe you should consider a YZF instead as they have a close-ration tranny which may fit your riding style better.

Just a thought..........

• jwriott

Posted January 08, 2004 - 02:47 PM

I'd YZ time the bike. It gives you a lot more mid range and revs out quicker. If that doesn't do it, then trying gearing down a little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDOregon

Posted January 08, 2004 - 06:28 PM

I put a 13 tooth front sprocket on ($10 VS. $50 for the rear) and it made 3rd perfect. Plus now 1st a granny gear for jumping stumps.

• GIXXER_JAMES

Posted January 12, 2004 - 08:40 PM

Hey Fryboy, you ever going to go to CC with us (GSQUID).

Bike has PowerNow, JD KIT and is YZ timed. Gearing is stock however. I can't pull hard out of corners or hit steep hills in third without having to shift to 2nd right away.

450 cam is viable especially with decomp :)

• Fryboy

Posted January 14, 2004 - 08:54 AM

Hey Fryboy, you ever going to go to CC with us (GSQUID).

Bike has PowerNow, JD KIT and is YZ timed. Gearing is stock however. I can't pull hard out of corners or hit steep hills in third without having to shift to 2nd right away.

450 cam is viable especially with decomp :)

Hey Gixxer,

I thought that was you. :D I am definately going to ride Clear Creek with you guys one of these days soon. I am still nursing my shoulder that sucka still isn't 100%.
Glad you found your way over here to TT.

Fryboy

• HAYESTI

Posted January 16, 2004 - 05:58 PM

I agree w/ JD OREGON, I did the same thing , dropped 1 tooth @ the front, made third gear AWESOME! Great wheelie puller!! :) :D

• GIXXER_JAMES

Posted January 17, 2004 - 08:55 PM

Hope shoulder is better fryboy, going to prairie city for race tommorow. I went with a 13 tooth front sprocket, took it to hollister today and it felt real good. Of course no big hills to really try it out on though :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.