2006 and 2008 difference questions (cdi and cams)

7 replies to this topic
  • TRUBBS

Posted January 20, 2014 - 04:15 PM

i have a 2008 yz450f that im re-buiding/building up (+3mm stroker, 98mm big bore,ported head)

ive seen alot of people say its better to use the 2006 cdi (which i plan to buy) but was wondering if one of them cheaper ebay "black box performance" cdi's would be worth running?

along with the cams, whats the difference in the cams? i was planning on just leaving my stock 2008 cams in....

the crank and big bore kit i got came out of a low hour 2006, as far as i know them parts are the same from 2006+, just never heard of the cams being different? 

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2014 - 05:01 PM

The difference in the cams in those two years is that the '08 was timed differently so as to move the power a bit higher up the rev range, and ultimately to make a little more. Try your bike with the '06 CDI and a good pipe before you decide to swap the cams out.

• TRUBBS

Posted February 18, 2014 - 04:41 PM

trying to come acrossed a 2006 cdi but not having much luck :(

• Gunner354

Posted February 18, 2014 - 05:20 PM

trying to come acrossed a 2006 cdi but not having much luck :(

I finally tried an 03 cdi a few days ago and I think it rips down low more than the 06 and still has top end. Manageable but pretty good low end bite. My son in law swapped out his 06 cdi with an 04 and felt like it had more top end than with the 06. Still had good bark down low. Can't explain that one because I thought the 03 and 04 was the same. We both ride an 09 with Dr D pipe, Rekluse Pro.
So don't be stuck on an 06 cdi, I bought the 03 cdi for $25 on eBay. Either an 03 or 04 will do just a good or better than an 06. I would also like to hear what more people think.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted February 18, 2014 - 06:47 PM

I finally tried an 03 cdi a few days ago and I think it rips down low more than the 06 and still has top end. Manageable but pretty good low end bite. My son in law swapped out his 06 cdi with an 04 and felt like it had more top end than with the 06. Still had good bark down low. Can't explain that one because I thought the 03 and 04 was the same. We both ride an 09 with Dr D pipe, Rekluse Pro.
So don't be stuck on an 06 cdi, I bought the 03 cdi for $25 on eBay. Either an 03 or 04 will do just a good or better than an 06. I would also like to hear what more people think.

I have an 03 yz450f in my garage and I just bought an 09 yz450f to replace it. I have stole some parts off the 03 so it's in pieces but i'm going to try and get it running this week. When I do, I will swap the CDI's back and forth and try and give a seat of the pants comparison. Now if I only had an 06 CDI on hand this could get real interesting/confusing LOL. It may be interesting to see how the 09 CDI makes the 03 grunt monster feel. To buy an 03 is kinda a catch 22 because it's such an old bike now but for someone on a budget it may be a cheap way of making the power band more user friendly and or we could start an I'll trade you my 03-04 CDI for your 07-09 CDI thread. 

• TRUBBS

Posted February 19, 2014 - 04:31 AM

I bought an '04 CDI last night off eBay for $34 bucks, figured it was worth a shot as the only '06 one I could find was $125.00
So I'm intrested in your seat time for sure, don't be afraid to post up in this thread if you want to.

I'd compare mine but once it goes back together it's going to be a whole new animal with the big bore/stroker & ported head so it would be like comparing apples to tires lol

• Gunner354

Posted February 23, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Another update on the 03-04 cdi. Son in law rode some single track and said the 04 cdi has more hit than the 06 but retains the top end.
The 03 cdi on my 09 is now my favorite cdi. Real good pull off the bottom but manageable.

• TRUBBS

Posted March 04, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Found out my bike is actually an 07 rather then an 08 like I thought. Hopefully this 04 cdi will still provide an upgrade over the factory 07 one.
Just waiting on engine bearings now so I can rebuild the engine then need to order the Yoshi & I'll be set

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.