Can't start my WR400. Carb issues. *Video*

4 replies to this topic
  • alex_ander3@hotmail

Posted January 20, 2014 - 01:54 AM

Hello. Great place i've found here. My name is Alex, and i am from Norway. Sorry about my bad english.

Spec:

WR400f year 2000.

Yz cam with yz timing.

Bigger exhaust

NGK cr8ek

Yz 450 carb, with;

-160 main jet

-72 starter jet

-48 pilot jet

Bought myself a WR400 a litte while ago. When i bought it it ran fine ( to start and testdrive it it was no problem). When i got home, i hadent learn'd the starting teknique and got problems starting it.

Now i have learn the teknique, but i still got problems starting it:

Tok a full fix with a new spark plug. New oil. And i checked the valve clearence. Didn't fint anything wrong.

I think the bike is getting to mutch fuel. When i kick the kickstarter for some time, the fuel us leaking out the exhaust. I can see it dripping on the floor where the middle exhaust flange is (the place around the right foot peg)

I have made it start a couple of times. The teknique i am using is that i shut off the fuel. Drain the carb so its empty, and then try to start it with the hot start butten used.

I think that the float level is to high, so the engine gets flooded. Took the "carb-drain-hose" and checked the fuel level.

Se picture below where i have marked with black where the level was. Isent this to high?

float level.JPG

Measured it and it was 8mm from the edge as it saids in the manual.

Here is a video of how mutch fuel it is:

What is wrong:(

• flyandride

Posted January 20, 2014 - 06:23 AM

That's a good way to check fuel level.  The fuel level is way too high, that's why the bike is flooding.  You need to measure the float level.  The bottom of the float should be 8 mm from the edge with the carb turned upside down.  Probably the carb and float valve need to be cleaned.  I've marked your picture with a yellow line.  That's where the bottom of the float should be with the carb upside down.  carb.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • alex_ander3@hotmail

Posted January 20, 2014 - 01:59 PM

That's a good way to check fuel level.  The fuel level is way too high, that's why the bike is flooding.  You need to measure the float level.  The bottom of the float should be 8 mm from the edge with the carb turned upside down.  Probably the carb and float valve need to be cleaned.  I've marked your picture with a yellow line.  That's where the bottom of the float should be with the carb upside down.  attachicon.gifcarb.jpg

Hello! And THANK you for the answer. Now i actually know that something is wrong.

I have measured the distance to be 8mm. What can be wrong when it's still gets flooded?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 20, 2014 - 02:15 PM

Your float needle and/or seat are worn out, or at least getting 'stuck' in the cavity. Polish everything and remove all corrision, inpsect the rubber tip and brass seat.

You should also do a valve clearance adjustment!

• alex_ander3@hotmail

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:37 PM

Can anyone see at my picture back up of the carb, that the serie-number is from a yz450?
The previous owner said that he thought it was from that bike.

Thanks.

(By the way, left the carb in for service yesterday)

Thecoolaidmedamesick: valve cleareance check done:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.