1 reply to this topic
  • BrianVT

Posted January 07, 2004 - 01:40 PM

I've always just bought steel bars. Nobody's said anything to convince me to spend more bucks. Steel bends easy but they're cheap. I hear you guys talking about raising them and moving 'em forward.
What should I have ?
I'm 5'9", 165 lbs., ride standing alot, mid c-class hare scrambler. Can different bars help me ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted January 07, 2004 - 02:23 PM

I raised mine and moved them forward to give me more room, but I'm 6'5" tall and was cramped with the stock setup. In terms of durability, the Pro Taper bars are about as tough as they get from what I know. Finding the right bend can be helpful, but some guys prefer the bend of the stock bars, so it's all pretty personal as far as choice goes.

If you're mostly a sit down rider, then sit on your bike like your riding it while someone is balancing you. Then with your arms relaxed at your sides, close your eyes and then hold your arms out relaxed like your grabbing a set of bars. Now open your eyes and see where your hands are in relation to the bars. This might help you decide on a bend that works best for you if your mostly sitting down.

If you're mostly a stand up rider, then stand straight up on the pegs with your arms relaxed at your sides while someone balances the bike. Stay straight up, but put your arms straight out like you're trying to touch the bars. If the end of your longest finger is just barely touching the bars by a half inch or so, then you're good to go. If not, try to find a bar that's bent or a bar clamp that will just barely put you in touch with the bars.

This is just my opinion on how I've chosen bars in the past to work well for me, but I'm sure there's some trade secrets from others out there :)

Speaking of bars, I'm trying out a set of Fasst flex bars here in the next few weeks. While they look trick, I've heard and read some great things about them, so I'm going to give them a shot since they have a 30 day money back guarantee on them. http://www.fasstco.c...flexx_bars.html

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.