A little change for big effect

No replies to this topic
  • 72degrees

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:48 AM

So the tuned 04 YZ450F survived my valve shimming efforts but was popping and banging badly on closing the throttle sharply. It always has a bit but this was worse than ever. Could be just the fairly cold weather I thought, but we ran it at Hartland Quay in March last year at 4 degrees centigrade and it wasn't too bad. So I decided to tweak the pilot fuel screw. Then I decided I might as well get a fancy RFS screw in blue with a numbered knurled knob. On dropping out the standard screw there seemed to be no spring, washer or o-ring ! Put the new one in properly equipped and set it to a default 2 turns out as I was far from convinced the previous position was optimal.

What a difference! Started first kick and warmed up easily settling down to a steady idle - in fact it needed reducing a tad. Very responsive to a snapped open throttle with no popping or banging on closing. A tentative tweak either way suggested it was at about the right place but I'm looking forward to riding it in March on a setup day at Pembrey circuit. Not a championship round and plenty of runs so I can fiddle with the fine tuning.

Just got to replace the rather ageing race wet tyres now and take it to John at Revs for a suspension setup to suit my lad's weight. Might need re-springing, but he is still growing so perhaps not.

Oh, and I started the orange bike up for it's spring awakening after valve check (all OK) fitting a new plug,  air filter and used titanium FMF Megabomb system. It's been a good day :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.