Chain.... O-Ring or non O-Ring?
Sprockets....... Steel or Aluminum?

Which brand Renthal DID?

Picked up a clean used 09 yx450f
Want to be safe a replace these parts.

Thanks

• Yammer-Hammer

Posted January 16, 2014 - 11:42 PM

Do you race the bike or what? If it was my bike i would use the following combination.

R3 Renthal o-ring chain ( they last a very long time) And ironman steel sprockets. (They are made from Chromoly and last a veryy long time)

This combination will last twice as long if not longer than a regular non o ring chain and aluminum sprocket setup.

Edited by Yammer-Hammer, January 16, 2014 - 11:44 PM.

• Mtrain730

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:08 AM

I put r3 o ring and sun star steel sprockets on my bike when it had about 15 hrs because the stock chain was stretched a lot. My bike know has about 25hrs and I have not had too adjust the chain since I put it on and sprockets look brand new so I am a happy camper. Hope this helps.

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:19 AM

I run Regina ORN-6 O-ring chains over hard anodized aluminum rear sprockets and medium grade fronts (Tag Metals and Pro-Taper, respectively)  This combination lasts me well over a year of desert riding and racing. 

The chain is the key to the whole thing.  It's "stretched" chains that wear the sprockets quickly, and it really doesn't depend that much on what the sprocket is made of.  If you have a chain that will last like the Reginas, your sprockets will last, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted January 17, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Not that I have the knowledge of gray but I 100 percent agree I thing a good quality chain and keep it adjusted is much more important than sprockets.

Edited by Mtrain730, January 17, 2014 - 09:27 AM.

• joaquin1296

Posted January 18, 2014 - 02:15 AM

DID 520 MXis the heavy duty chain I use.
There is a much lighter one DID 520 ERT2 which is much lighter, and supposedly better for racing. In chains there is no secret. The expensive ones are the good ones.

• BBrown626

Posted January 19, 2014 - 05:03 PM

ERT2 is good for racing. My local shop sells them for $80 and that help.

Gray's ORN6 chain lasts a long time as does DID X-ring chain. The X-ring chain is rated for road bikes. It does offer some resistance though and it is noticeable in comparison to a racing chain. 

I like the dual ring sprockets. They last a long time with a good chain. 

• Yzflier977

Posted January 19, 2014 - 06:49 PM

I really like the new pro taper gold chain, strong and doesn't stretch very much at all. If weight isn't an issue I would run a steel rear sprocket, always steel on the front for me. I ride MX exclusively and in the air I really notice the additional weight of the steel rear sprocket versus the aluminum ones.

• Rocky739

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Somewhat poaching this but after searching this was the closest subject to my question.

I'm adding a o-ring chain to my 08 YZ and noticed that the stock chain side (one next to C/S sprocket) was very narrow, almost the same width of the chain..

I have a 03 WR and the guide is wider, do you swap out the guides to the WR ones when switching to a o-ring chain or is this a non issue??

My 02 cents on the issue, always a x-ring chain (I'm not trying to pull a holeshot a national) and quality alu sprocket or a twin ring if you want even longer life with only a small weight gain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.