6 replies to this topic
  • 03yzfbert

Posted January 16, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Anyone gear their 03 yz450f I'm looking for something longer thinking 15/47 to keep the same chain length just want to know from someone's experience as this is my first four speed bike I've had 6 speeds and didn't react well to taller gears the 5 speed did I'm pretty sure the power to pull those gears is there as shouldn't be an issue.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted January 16, 2014 - 10:58 PM

Check this link,  I found it earlier on TT, it will answer most gearing changes and its affect, plus links needed for chain.

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:06 AM

I had an '03 that I needed bigger gearing on for desert use.  Stock was 14/48, and I thought 15/48 might be a little more than I wanted at the low end of things, so I went with 15/49.  For a while, I would change the front back and forth between the 15 and 14, depending on where I was riding, but after a while, I stopped doing that and just ran the 15 everywhere.  It made the technical stuff more of a challenge, but not to where it was obnoxious.  I probably could have run the 15/48 as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 72degrees

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:54 AM

I run usually 15/39 or 40 on my tuned 04 (edited d'oh my memory) - but that's on 17 inch wheels on tarmac ;) It pulls it no problem. The 4 speeds are a bit close together though so getting off the line well can be interesting at the steep courses.

Edited by 72degrees, January 17, 2014 - 09:53 AM.

• 03yzfbert

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Thanks team oatmeal I did the math for the gearing I thought would be good for me and its on 6mph difference that should be good to go I'll have to just invest in a few sprockets and see what I like.

• 03yzfbert

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:24 AM

just got some sprockets in the mail last night and going to work on the bike today. i ordered the 15/47 so no change in the chain. going for a ride too ill post back and let you know how i like/dislike the changes. 1st should require a little more clutch.

• 03yzfbert

Posted February 01, 2014 - 11:15 PM

New gearing is awesome. Just more wide open stuff today. Track is probably next and then the desert. I was able to cruise at around 55 and didn't have to be way up in the Rpms.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.