e start

3 replies to this topic
  • sqwidget

Posted January 07, 2004 - 09:50 AM

what is this proble with the electric start and the wood ruff keys on teh 03 WR450s? ive looked at the threads and im still not sure wat it is and what causes it. so could you guys please tell me what it is? :)

• banffboy

Posted January 07, 2004 - 10:03 AM

at the top of this forum there is a post(bulletin) that has 220 replies regarding the woodruf key issue. Happy reading

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sqwidget

Posted January 07, 2004 - 04:16 PM

yea i looked there and i didnt see anything that causes it. maybe i just missed it? if someone will tell me that will be great.

• ETP

Posted January 07, 2004 - 04:46 PM

The short version is that a lean backfire during estart can cause the flywheel to spin on its shaft shearing the woodruff key. There have been various levels of damage when this happens and there are various theories about the cause. Sounds like Yamaha has fixed the problem on the 04's. Read the older posts for details, or maybe one of these TT techy types will enlighten you more on this thread.
Biggest thing is to get your jetting right.
Happy riding :) :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.