WR450F Race Bike

78 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Post #48 by Monk isn't a personal jab?

Not to the extent that it needs any intervention, no.

• Navaho6

Posted January 17, 2014 - 02:35 PM

I wasn't offended by Grayracer's comments.  He appears to be very knowlegeable about autoclutches. I believe that he was trying to help educate me and also prevent others from being turned off about autoclutches based on my comments. 

I said this before, autoclutches can be a huge benefit for some riders.   The benefits I see are these:

Makes riding technical terrain easier

Prevents stalling most of the time

Helps reduce arm pump and fatigue and allows you to recover from it when it does happen (without stopping)

Allows full grip on left side when you need it

Core EXP helps reduce clutch abuse

Core EXP helps reduce clutch heat

What I didn't like about the EXP 2.0:

Slippage at low rpm and higher gears

Fewer clutch plates in action (less torque).  Not an issue with Core EXP. 

Rear wheel will not lock up (sliding backwards on hills, makes countershaft sprocket change more difficult)

Can't bump start

Have to pull in the clutch to get to idle speed immediately but clutch pull is 15% heavier (instant arm pump). Add $500 to upgrade to Core EXP to eliminate this issue.

I wasn't looking for easy.  I was looking for more speed.  I got slower. 

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:30 PM

It is true that everyone won't like them, and I really doubt I'd have one on an MX bike, a flat tracker, or a road bike. It's also true that the WR450 is less of a problem to keep running at low speeds in the first place because of the triumvirate of a much heavier flywheel, a lower first gear, and and engine with a much better temperament at low speeds, too.

That is definitely the first time I've seen the word "triumvirate" used on an internet message board, anytime, anywhere. Nice.

• barkbuster

Posted January 17, 2014 - 06:19 PM

+1 for tried but don't like it.l put on a magura hydro and love it.
I have a exp 2.0 and optional wedges for sale if anybody is interested.

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2014 - 06:29 PM

Just so we're clear, I doubt I would recommend the EXP 2.0 to anyone but a casual recreational rider. I have several reasons for that. The Z-Start Pro and the Core EXP are the real deal, and are both smoother operating clutches capable of full time race duty.

• xios82100

Posted January 18, 2014 - 06:42 PM

I agree with monk make the bike lighter big bore kits have issues. You can jet it change sprockets etc

• Bturner

Posted January 19, 2014 - 09:38 PM

I love my Z start on my yz450. Best mod I've had on a bike next to suspension. Lighter clutch pull, but still is 100% functional like a manual clutch. I still use the clutch 75% of the time like it's a manual one, like the rekluse isn't even there, but after an hour into a race or hours out on the trail, I don't have to use the lever. It's great for the tight stuff, hills, corners, logs, rocks, ruts, mud, rivers, life saver in hare scrambles & if you get tired.
It's all about setting it up right. I think that's the problem with a lot of guys that use them. They don't know how to set it up right for their style of riding, so it doesn't work right for them. It took me 4-5 rides to dial mine & get used to letting it do what it's supposed to do. Now I won't own a bike without one.

• beezer

Posted January 20, 2014 - 08:13 AM

On a bike with no e-start a auto-clutch is good idea.  The bike doesn't stall as easily.

On my WR if I stall it I just pull the clutch in and hit the e-start.

A buddy started his CR450 with the bike in gear unbeknownst to him.  He hit the throttle and ghosted the bike right into his new truck.

• Navaho6

Posted January 20, 2014 - 09:00 AM

I certainly wouldn't want to race an enduro or harescramble without one but it would be the Core EXP or Z-start Pro. 

Two other things I wouldn't want to do without on a race bike is a steering damper and these:    http://www.vibranato..._bikes_s/22.htm

I used the Vibranators for the 1st time last weekend, and it was the first time in a long time that I didn't have that tingling feeling in my hands.  No arm pump either!  I was suprised at how well they worked.  They cut out a lot of the annoying handlebar vibrations at the rpm range that I use the most.  That would be a huge benefit in a race.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:01 AM

I certainly wouldn't want to race an enduro or harescramble without one but it would be the Core EXP or Z-start Pro. 

Two other things I wouldn't want to do without on a race bike is a steering damper and these:    http://www.vibranato..._bikes_s/22.htm

I used the Vibranators for the 1st time last weekend, and it was the first time in a long time that I didn't have that tingling feeling in my hands.  No arm pump either!  I was suprised at how well they worked.  They cut out a lot of the annoying handlebar vibrations at the rpm range that I use the most.  That would be a huge benefit in a race.

I prefer Flexx bars, as they do the same thing plus so much more, and allow for full wrap HD handgaurds as well.

...or the Carbon Graphite bars that flex.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, January 21, 2014 - 07:02 AM.

• Navaho6

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:12 AM

I tried the Flexxbars bars. Didn't notice a reduction in vibes to the same extent as with the Vibranators. Hands still went numb.

For some odd reason, the flex action of the Flexxbars made my wrists hurt really bad. After three rides with reoccurring problem, I had to take them off. Sold them to a friend and he loves them.

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 21, 2014 - 12:34 PM

I prefer Flexx bars, as they do the same thing plus so much more, and allow for full wrap HD handgaurds as well.
...or the Carbon Graphite bars that flex.

Are the flex bars really with $300 thought. That's pretty high for some bars.

• Navaho6

Posted January 21, 2014 - 02:51 PM

If you add their handguards and pivot mounts it's closer to $500.  Obviously they are worth the price or Flexxbars wouldn't be in business.  I got them because I thought that they would help with vibrations. I didn't notice much improvement. 

Check out the graphs on this website comparing vibration reduction of their product to a "popular hinged bar" (Flexxbars).

http://www.precision...m/shockvibe.htm

The Precision product was going to be my next try IF the Vibranators didn't work.  Fortunately, I don't have to spend another $250.

Edited by Navaho6, January 21, 2014 - 02:55 PM.

• ggamster

Posted January 24, 2014 - 11:07 AM

One last thing about the Rekluse

• whoops dude

Posted January 24, 2014 - 12:24 PM

Dial in the suspension for you, make sure your sag is set, get a good set of tires for your terrain, go for comfort things to make you are 100% at ease when pushing the pace (bars, foot pegs, grips etc.) and add some protection if you feel it could be beneficial(skid plate, bark busters). Other than that just ride ride ride. You can speculate all day long about what parts you need to go fast but I guarantee just getting out and riding will make you fast.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Obviously they are worth the price or Flexxbars wouldn't be in business. 

Maybe, but you know what Barnum said.

• Monk

Posted January 24, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Maybe, but you know what Barnum said.

I'm still on the fence over Flexx Bars. I bought mine for $50 so I can complain though...

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 25, 2014 - 09:41 AM

Dial in the suspension for you, make sure your sag is set, get a good set of tires for your terrain, go for comfort things to make you are 100% at ease when pushing the pace (bars, foot pegs, grips etc.) and add some protection if you feel it could be beneficial(skid plate, bark busters). Other than that just ride ride ride. You can speculate all day long about what parts you need to go fast but I guarantee just getting out and riding will make you fast.

Suspension is already dialed. I get all the parts from race tech and do it myself.

• Navaho6

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:49 PM

One last thing about the Rekluse

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.