WR450F Race Bike

78 replies to this topic
  • KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Desert races I pretty much have the 450 pinned. That's why I wanted more power that and so I can gear it higher with still having quite a bit of low end torque.

• YamaFling

Posted January 14, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Having done the 2mm overbore, its less about an HP improvement and more improving the bottom end.  For me, it pretty much makes stalling a thing of the past, and helps pull out the higher gearing when I gear it for dual sporting.  Be sure to bump up your pilot jet, it will be sucking a lot more air at all RPM ranges, especially if you are going from a stock pipe to full FMF.

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Right now it has a white bros E2 silencer. It's jetted for that but most likely I will have to rejet it again. I'm looking to improve mid to top end the mist and to just have a more aggressive power delivery.

• Monk

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Big bore is not the ticket for increasing top-end. Look at cams and posting...

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Big bore is not the ticket for increasing top-end. Look at cams and posting...

I know that's why I am doing cams and big bore kit.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:49 AM

You need to port the head.

It is extremely restricted.

I put in YZ cams and was not impressed.

After porting it's much better.

The Dynatec ignition also gives you a few hp, and make it run better.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2014 - 01:15 PM

I tried the cheapest Rekluse, the EXP 2.0.  ....  

And you're surprised it didn't perform up to your expectations. 

The Z-Start Pro would have addressed your complaints quite well.  One finger clutch override, better engagement performance. 

Desert races I pretty much have the 450 pinned.

I've been to a D37 race or two, and there are tons of places where you won't even be able to think about having the thing anywhere near pinned. 

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 01:34 PM

The reason why I want to bore it so bad is like I said so I can gear it high and still have a lot of low torque. I would love to have a dual sport bike I can cruise down the highway with and then have it be a bitching dirt bike as well. I should just get another KTM for that but I have to work with what I a got for now. I put a big bore kit, hot cams, Hinson clutch in my XR400 and It made it a completely different bike. I would love to get the same results out of the WR.

Edited by KTMsSuck351, January 14, 2014 - 01:35 PM.

• Monk

Posted January 14, 2014 - 03:06 PM

The reason why I want to bore it so bad is like I said so I can gear it high and still have a lot of low torque. I would love to have a dual sport bike I can cruise down the highway with and then have it be a bitching dirt bike as well. I should just get another KTM for that but I have to work with what I a got for now. I put a big bore kit, hot cams, Hinson clutch in my XR400 and It made it a completely different bike. I would love to get the same results out of the WR.

What class do you race again?

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 03:14 PM

What class do you race again?

Yellow bar. I am hoping to make it to red here in a couple months. I had an injury that out me out for a while and I'm still trying to get back. In the 200cc class I made it to red bar.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted January 14, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yellow bar. I am hoping to make it to red here in a couple months. I had an injury that out me out for a while and I'm still trying to get back. In the 200cc class I made it to red bar.

Amateur then.....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 14, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I think you might have a misunderstanding of what a Big Bore kit actually does.

All it does is increase the displacement.

It is not a 'hop-up' mod, it is a 'power band shift' mod.

All of the power in a four stroke is made in the head.

You are asking for advice, several are giving advice, but you are not responding, or answering their questions.

So......good luck.

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Yes I understand that.
@monk Red bar is pro.

• Monk

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Yes I understand that.
@monk Red bar is pro.

I don't understand. If you go "pro", you cant drop back. You said you were red bar once, and now you are yellow......that makes no sense.....Even with injury you don't drop down unless you are mid-pack or less.

I tore my rotator cuff, I didn't drop down. I took the better part of two years to heal and still stayed in A....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:37 PM

I smell poser troll

• Monk

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:41 PM

I smell poser troll

Me or him?

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I don't understand. If you go "pro", you cant drop back. You said you were red bar once, and now you are yellow......that makes no sense.....Even with injury you don't drop down unless you are mid-pack or less.

I tore my rotator cuff, I didn't drop down. I took the better part of two years to heal and still stayed in A....

Yes it does. I moved up from the 200cc class to the 450cc class. With D37 they make you go back 1 level if you move up a class

Edited by KTMsSuck351, January 14, 2014 - 08:56 PM.

• Monk

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yes it does. I moved up from the 200cc class to the 450cc class. With D37 they make you go back 1 level if you move up a class

They make you, or you choose too?

• KTMsSuck351

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:47 PM

They make you, or you choose too?

They make you. It should be in the D37 rule book.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2014 - 08:55 AM

In AMA Sportsman Desert racing, the "red bar" is "Expert", not pro.  "Pro" is professional, and you have to have achieved Expert status as a sportsman racer to apply for a pro card.  Certain races, like many of the National H&H runs, are Pro-Am races in which both Sportsman and Pro riders compete on a even basis.

Current AMA rules, which D37 and all others must comply with, stipulate that one may advance or demote himself at will, if he feels he is more suited to a class up or down from where he is currently listed.  He may also be demoted by his class steward if he posts poor results over time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.