New motor, does out when I put it in 1st gear?

8 replies to this topic
  • DieselJoe

Posted January 12, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Okay so I had my motor completely redone, all new bearings, transmission, timing chain, top and bottem end, cylinder, head, cams etc. when I put it in first gear when it's cold it dies out. If I roll it forward then put it in gear it's fine, but then revs up a little bit and idles higher in gear. When warm it will go into gear without dying but again idles higher in gear then in neutral, what could be the problem? I partially blame it on the hydronic clutch, only because I don't like it I feel like a cable clutch pulls the clutch in farther and a cable seems more reliable to me.... Any other ideas? Kinda weird. Also this didn't happen before the rebuild, that I can remember anyway

• kx125rida

Posted January 12, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Check clutch and maybe idle.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Year and engine size?

• 250premixer

Posted January 12, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Okay so I had my motor completely redone, all new bearings, transmission, timing chain, top and bottem end, cylinder, head, cams etc. when I put it in first gear when it's cold it dies out. If I roll it forward then put it in gear it's fine, but then revs up a little bit and idles higher in gear. When warm it will go into gear without dying but again idles higher in gear then in neutral, what could be the problem? I partially blame it on the hydronic clutch, only because I don't like it I feel like a cable clutch pulls the clutch in farther and a cable seems more reliable to me.... Any other ideas? Kinda weird. Also this didn't happen before the rebuild, that I can remember anyway

my bike does that too let it warm up...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DieselJoe

Posted January 13, 2014 - 04:47 PM

It's a 2003 yz450f

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2014 - 08:38 PM

How much free travel is there at the clutch lever?

• DieselJoe

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:18 AM

None it's hydraulic

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2014 - 11:56 AM

If the clutch is also new, it may need time to wear in enough that it stops dragging.  That happens a lot of times when aftermarket plates are used instead of the OEM or premium quality items.  If you only replaced the friction plates, it's likely that the steels are not truly flat.  Once in gear, it should not creep more than a very small amount, if at all, and you should be able to put the bike back in neutral at an idle.

If it idles faster in gear, and/or if the idle "hangs" at a higher speed for a time after it's revved up, you have either you idle set too lean, an air leak in the intake, or a tight intake valve. 

• DieselJoe

Posted January 14, 2014 - 01:32 PM

The clutch is not new at the time of the engine overhaul, but it's not stock either....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.