2013 WR450F

6 replies to this topic
  • Smickelsen

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:55 AM

have been thinking about a yz250f for moto and offroad. I only really moto at our local private track... do some hair scrambles , dual sports and such.. Has the wr improved much ?  it's a lot heavier than a 250.. any input on this newer WR would be great... thanks so much.

• coktm

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:29 AM

One of my riding buddies has a 13 WR 450 with the GYTR parts on it and it is a nice bike that works well in many terrains. The newest WR is still heavy but rides lighter than it actually is. It is built on a 250f frame and feels pretty narrow. When properly set up the WR makes good power that is controllable off road but can still be fun on the track. The suspension is pretty soft and will probably need some work if you do much jumping but on the other hand it works well off road. The newest is the best yet from Yamaha in my opinion.

CoKTM

• Smickelsen

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Thanks, tough decision between the 250f and wr450f... being able to moto is important but love the idea of all the oem lights, wiring, etc.  been on light bikes for a while and fear it feeling heavy out there.. Doesn't look to easy to add lighting to the 250...  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted January 11, 2014 - 04:47 PM

You really have to make up your mind as to what's more important, racing and MX or versatility.  If your at least a A-level rider and being competitive is the priority, then you should go with the YZ250F.  If versatility is more important, then get the WR.  The WR is heavy, and it feels that way, even if you get the weight down.  I stripped 12 lbs off my '13.  It still feels heavy but it is a good enough for what I'm doing, and I feel like I am as fast on it as any other bike I've owned.  I'm not racing, though.  I'm 165 lbs, and the suspension is perfect for me in the woods and can handle anything I'm courageous enough to try.  I wish the bike was about 25 lbs lighter, though.  

Edited by Navaho6, January 11, 2014 - 04:47 PM.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I just sold my 2011 YZ250F and picked u p a 2013 WR450F. I haven't ridden the WR yet, so I can't give you a ride report.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED my 250. I'm not much of a track rider, but I did a little. What I love is trail riding and the 250F rocks. It handles like a sports car and the power was really smooth also. Super lite like a bmx bike too.

The perfect bike for what I'm looking for is a YZ250F with all the WR goodies (including e-start). For what I want to do the WR makes the most sense. If I was going to spend a ton of time on the track I would definitely roll with a 250F.

• Smickelsen

Posted January 12, 2014 - 05:21 AM

really appreciate the feedback.. I have been an A level rider for a while now but as i am getting older being competitive is not so important ... being out there and having a great time is.. I agree the perfect bike would be the 250 with all the wr goodies. i will read more and see what i come up with.. thanks again..

• mebgardner

Posted January 12, 2014 - 04:31 PM

You really have to make up your mind as to what's more important, racing and MX or versatility.  If your at least a A-level rider and being competitive is the priority, then you should go with the YZ250F.  If versatility is more important, then get the WR.  The WR is heavy, and it feels that way, even if you get the weight down.  I stripped 12 lbs off my '13.  It still feels heavy but it is a good enough for what I'm doing, and I feel like I am as fast on it as any other bike I've owned.  I'm not racing, though.  I'm 165 lbs, and the suspension is perfect for me in the woods and can handle anything I'm courageous enough to try.  I wish the bike was about 25 lbs lighter, though.  

+1

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.