How to track Maintenance Intervals on WR450?

23 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:39 AM

The WR450 display does not appear to give ODO mileage readings, just trip meter mileage readings.

How should I keep track of maintenance intervals, or proof of mileage upon sale to a potential new owner?

Hour meter? $40 buck I could live with.

New display? $300 is kinda hard to swallow at this point.

• GuyGraham

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:38 AM

The stock display does have a total mileage reading, but not an hour meter

To get to the total mileage, press the bottom button twice

• Navaho6

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Get an hour meter.   Change oil every 15 hours after break-in.   I went with the Hardline for my new WR. Last Trail Tech one I got lasted about 3 hours and quick working. 

http://www.rockymoun...term=hour meter

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 08, 2014 - 12:51 PM

I keep a dry erase board in my shop, and note the number of rides after/before each kind of service.

I also have an hour meter, which is pretty much used in 100's of hours only.

• mebgardner

Posted January 08, 2014 - 01:24 PM

Huh.  OK, thanks.  This not stated in the Users Service Manual for reasons unknown to me.

(This thing really need a typical "Users Operator Manual"...)

• mebgardner

Posted January 08, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the hour meter tips, guys.  Very useful info...

I own 5 cycles at the moment.  I keep detailed written notes on each, not a white board.  But, white board not bad idea!

Edited by mebgardner, January 08, 2014 - 01:27 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 08, 2014 - 01:36 PM

I write notes in the front cover of the service manual for every single maintenance/upgrade action I do to my bike and also use a Works Connection hour meter to keep track for oil changes.  It also shows good history if the bike's in good enough shape to sell one day.

• woods-rider

Posted January 08, 2014 - 01:44 PM

I didn't think they had changed the display since introducing them in '06? My '06 did not have a total mileage, just two trip meters. My '12 doesn't say anything about a total mileage odometer either.

Are you sure you aren't just looking at one of the two trip meters you have just never reset?

• funt

Posted January 08, 2014 - 03:31 PM

The street legal bikes have an odometer it seems.  Depends on which country it's from.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted January 08, 2014 - 04:39 PM

I use the hour meter that is in the gytr ecm tool. But of course you need to have the tool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted January 08, 2014 - 05:05 PM

I use the hour meter that is in the gytr ecm tool. But of course you need to have the tool.

And an ECM.

Edited by RockerWR450, January 08, 2014 - 05:07 PM.

• mebgardner

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:45 AM

The street legal bikes have an odometer it seems.  Depends on which country it's from.

OK, I'm gonna have to go with the hour meter approach, then.  Another farkle...

• GuyGraham

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:43 AM

I didn't think they had changed the display since introducing them in '06? My '06 did not have a total mileage, just two trip meters. My '12 doesn't say anything about a total mileage odometer either.

Are you sure you aren't just looking at one of the two trip meters you have just never reset?

Nope

I have got Trip A, Trip B & total Odo reading in either miles or Km's

Capture.jpg

• electricme

Posted January 09, 2014 - 11:08 AM

^^  true story  there is an odometer on my 06...  or you could just designate one of your tripodometers as you "maintenance"  one...

• mebgardner

Posted January 09, 2014 - 01:37 PM

^^  true story  there is an odometer on my 06...  or you could just designate one of your tripodometers as you "maintenance"  one...

Until you remove the battery power :)

• mebgardner

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:30 PM

I checked. No ODO on the display.  Button pushed cycle between Trip A and B.

Silly durn Software...

• FastRides

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:46 PM

FWIW, I do the same thing you do on all my bikes and keep detailed notes in the back of my owner's manual for each.  For the WR, I've always used the trip B noting the mileage between oil changes, swing arm greasing, etc..... which works fine until you disconnect the battery or rollover the miles through a 1000 and have to add to the last interval (PITA).  In retrospect, I'd do the hour meter.  Btw, did you give the Flatland Racing bash plate a look? 

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:52 PM

I haven't checked my 2013 yet, but I'm pretty sure that there's an internal hour meter in the stock ECU that can be accessed with the diagnostic tool. 

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:27 PM

My '11 only has trip A and B - I never reset B, almost at 1000 miles on it. Only thing though, I've had battery power disconnected for several weeks at a time and it never reset.

• foggy3061

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:48 PM

I checked. No ODO on the display.  Button pushed cycle between Trip A and B.

Silly durn Software...

For some reason, the US digital speedo doesn't have an ODO!

Over here in the UK, many of the WR's are US imports and therefore don't have an ODO, just the two trips.

All UK / Europe bikes have a non resettable (even when battery has been disconnected) ODO in the speedo as standard, as Guy has mentioned.

You could swap your digital speedo out for a UK / European version and you would gain the ODO function, but they aren't cheap!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.