'13 WR450 Oil Filter Change - Replace the O-Rings?

10 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:09 AM

The 2013 WR450F Users Service Manual (comes with cycle upon purchase) shows 3 ea. O-Rings that are specified as "New" (for replacement) during an oil filter change.

You guys do this (replace them)?  Or, just reuse the one's that are already there?

• beezer

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:14 AM

Reuse them.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:54 AM

I bought a set of 4 (to include the larger O-ring as well as the 3 small ones) before I did the first oil change on my 426 ten years ago.  Since then, I've used one or two of them a couple of times as the ones in place show signs of wear, compression, etc.  Then I replace the one I used. 

Not even close to every time, just once in a while when it looks like it's called for, and it's nice having them on hand.

• mebgardner

Posted January 07, 2014 - 10:26 AM

OK, thanks for the help calibrating my expectations on the O-Ring life.

Got it :)

• albertlui

Posted January 11, 2014 - 12:48 AM

my 06 WR450 use the stock set o-rings for 7 years, about 30,000KM and then starts leak.  :applause:  

I also agree to have it on hand, but will only change it when leak.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:52 AM

Never changed one

• DangerRanger245

Posted September 28, 2015 - 05:11 PM

I had my 2006 YZ450F for 9 years. Never replaced them, never leaked

• jmd426

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Never changed mine owned it 4 years

• Chaconne

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:35 AM

OK, thanks for the help calibrating my expectations on the O-Ring life.

Got it :)

+1 on reuse.

But I always double (ok maybe triple maybe more, ok ok ok OCD alot :ride: ) check for leaks or seepage on all points including drain bolts and oil pressure bolt.

• Nuklhed

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:40 PM

I re-use.  Although, I did pinch the upper one putting the cover back on.  Sheared it right off.  Fired up the bike and a leak appeared.  Took it off, found the sheared o-ring, and promptly bought several for spares.  It's a bitch to find motorcycle store open on Sunday!

• mch

Posted October 01, 2015 - 11:49 PM

Always good to have an extra set on hand.  I don't recall the exact details, but a friend had told me that once he was not able to re-use the o-ring because it had expanded on him after dis-assembly and would no longer fit in the grooves.  Perhaps he left it off all night, it dried out, etc.?  I have a big o-ring on a leaf canister for my pool and that has expanded pretty good, so I can see it happening. 

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.