Dim headlight when trying to start.

1 reply to this topic
  • shakey0818

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:36 PM

I have a 2001 wr-426.It's been tricky to start for awhile but i do try a few methods and usually get it started withen 1/2 dozen times.This time I tried starting it and when its about to start the headlight is bright.Now it's dim and wont start.Might have to do with all the water,mud,snow and seaweed from yesterdays ride.This is usually how i try to start it.I got a red and black choke knob and a little black nob that twists.Theres a few ways to start it depending on the cold.Usually i pull the black nob out and give it 1/2 pup of the throttle.When its cold i open the red choke,tip the bike till gas leaks out of the bowl then kick 15-20 times with the de compression lever pulled in then try to start,Yesterday it wouldn't start but after i twisted the black nob with the black choke pulled out it started.This bike is and has allways been tricky to start.So much compression.Anyway.I'm wondering if i flooded it earlier today buti thought the red choke was supposed to help that.I hope it is not an electrical problem.I would welcome any thoughts on this.

Ty,Rob

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thommo_400f

Posted January 14, 2014 - 02:26 AM

Wrong method......
I am assuming your jetting is correct.

When cold.
Pull choke (black)
Twist throttle twice
Push kickstart down slowly until you feel compression point
Stop and hold
Pull decomp lever
Move kickstart 1 inch
Stop
Let go of decomp
Let kickstart back to top
(Piston is now just past TDC)
Kick it HARD without throttle.
Repeat until it starts.
If it takes more than 3-5 tries, then your jetting is wrong or valves are bad.

When warm
Push kickstart down slowly until you feel compression point
Stop and hold
Pull decomp lever
Move kickstart 1 inch
Stop
Let go of decomp
Let kickstart back to top
(Piston is now just past TDC)
Kick it HARD without throttle.
Repeat until it starts.

When HOT
pull RED KNOB (hot start)
Do routine as above.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.