Seized

22 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:42 PM

2006 YZ450 seized due to running out of oil. What's the probable damage? Top? Bottom? Both?

• zotis777

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:00 PM

probably a lot, piston seized in the bore due to lack of lubrication, you also probably damaged your head as far as cam bearings, and anything else that requires lubrication/cooling, how much oil loss are we talking? like all of it?

• NEKOOHC

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:08 PM

The best way is to inspect .. The Lot

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Well it's not my bike. I'm considering buying it for $800. I took the filler cap off and no visible oil. There was a slight oily coat,

• timmyp8823

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Sounds like a money pit to me. I'd personally look elsewhere.

• Valosity

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Buy it, but for less. Buy another engine, put that in it, one that doest need every single internal part.
Take the current engine, strip it down to all the parts,inspect and measure, and any still within spec and otherwise undamaged sell.
Any metal moving part within the motor that comes into contact with any other metal part will be harmed to some extent, even if only starved for oil for a very short time

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Well it's not my bike. I'm considering buying it for $800. I took the filler cap off and no visible oil. There was a slight oily coat,

If it's been run out of oil until it seized, your going to be paying $800 for a rolling chassis. If everything else on the bike besides the motor is pristine, and you can find another good condition motor for cheap, you might come out alright. Otherwise, save yourself the grief and look elsewhere.

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:34 PM

So on the 06 450 should I see oil when I open the fill cap on a cold motor?

• zotis777

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:38 PM

So on the 06 450 should I see oil when I open the fill cap on a cold motor?

there was no dipstick?

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:42 PM

there was no dipstick?

no actually

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:43 PM

there was no dipstick?

i think I will go back and.pull the drain plug

• Valosity

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:34 PM

How do you know it was ran out of oil?

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:38 PM

How do you know it was ran out of oil?

pulled cap, looked inside and couldn't see any oil. Assumed

• timmyp8823

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:13 PM

there was no dipstick?

Just the one checking the oil. Haha,sorry,couldn't resist!

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:21 PM

Just the one checking the oil. Haha,sorry,couldn't resist!

haha

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:34 PM

I just read that they are dry sump with oil being stored in the front tube of the frame. Is that correct
? I'm new to the yz. Would explain why I didn't see oil in the crank case

• 262 2stroke

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:48 PM

I just read that they are dry sump with oil being stored in the front tube of the frame. Is that correct
? I'm new to the yz. Would explain why I didn't see oil in the crank case

You wouldn't see oil anyway through the filler

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Ok. My last thumper was a 01 yz250f. Apparently the 06 is different. Now I'm getting the schooling I need. So now lets assume it was not out of oil. Still seized. So now what is the most probable cause?

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:39 AM

Ok. My last thumper was a 01 yz250f. Apparently the 06 is different. Now I'm getting the schooling I need. So now lets assume it was not out of oil. Still seized. So now what is the most probable cause?

I'd pull the valve cover and see if all 5 still have keepers on them and all is in order. Lot of times a (non oil related) 4 stroke "seize" is from a dropped or broken valve. Valve head gets wedged between the piston crown and the cylinder head, not allowing it to come all the way up. Put the bike in 4th or 5th gear and try to roll it backwards. See if that frees anything up at all.

• Goforaride

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:43 AM

I'd pull the valve cover and see if all 5 still have keepers on them and all is in order. Lot of times a (non oil related) 4 stroke "seize" is from a dropped or broken valve. Valve head gets wedged between the piston crown and the cylinder head, not allowing it to come all the way up. Put the bike in 4th or 5th gear and try to roll it backwards. See if that frees anything up at all.

so if I do that and it frees up that means new valves cams and head piston all that

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.