YZ 426 timing chain

12 replies to this topic
  • Donkim

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I have a YZ 426 and there is a rattling noise coming from what i think is the timing chain. Its a 2001 model and i bought it used about 2 years ago.  How often should the timing chain be replaced, and could this be the problem.   

• peaceofwork

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:29 AM

post a video clip of it running it will help

• Donkim

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:10 PM

https://www.dropbox....05 19.57.25.mp4
This is a video of the bike running. I have checked all of the skid and protector plates.

• peaceofwork

Posted January 05, 2014 - 07:26 PM

grayracer is a wizard on these kinds of things maybe he will chime in. In the past I herd things like put a hand on the skid plate or rear shock spring to see if it stops the rattling sound another one is kicker gear staying engaged ?. pop the valve cover and just see if the timing chain is lose?  take off both side covers and check fore something loose? . Maybe its internal like the rod bearing on the big end or a crank bearing-I,m just guessing but I think its like a ticking time bomb

• Donkim

Posted January 05, 2014 - 07:47 PM

I've checked all of the external parts on the bike and also checked the clutch. I thought it might be the timing chain or the tensioner. Thats where im looking next. I went on YouTube and it sounds like others have the same noise.

• Arizo

Posted January 06, 2014 - 02:54 AM

I have a little ratle noise also but i think its normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Donkim

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:57 PM

How long have you owned the bike? I just started riding the bike for the last two seasons and didn't notice it until this last summer.

• Arizo

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:25 PM

2 years and still got the bike

• peaceofwork

Posted January 07, 2014 - 03:58 PM

of the 3 that I have had I never had noise like that in your video out of them I usualy run 15/40 in them what weigh oil are you using?

• Donkim

Posted January 07, 2014 - 04:24 PM

The same as you

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2014 - 04:32 PM

grayracer is a wizard on these kinds of things maybe he will chime in.

Actually, I can't normally tell anything from the sound recordings people post of their bikes.  The sound quality is normally so poor that I can't determine anything about it, particularly with all the racket these things make when they're perfectly healthy.  Yours is pretty good, compared, but the only thing I heard was it sounds like it's running a little fast.

Timing chains should be replaced annually or thereabouts as maintenance.

• etuke

Posted January 07, 2014 - 04:32 PM

think its time to tear into that engine,dosen't sound normal to me.

• peaceofwork

Posted January 07, 2014 - 04:47 PM

just because you have not put in a chain do it, and shim the valves while your in their and run it and hope for the best ?

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.