Worth buying?

18 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 05:30 PM

I found a 06 yz450f with a siezed motor. I can pick it up for $900. I went and looked at it and when I pulled the oil filler plug I found it to be out of oil. Obviously I can't say how bad the damage is but it is a otherwise clean bike. The guy said he had just had the clutch and gearbox done at a shop. He said it's not worth him fixing because he would have to have a shop do it. I on the other hand can rebuilds the entire engine myself. What is the best and worst case scenario and is it worth the risk?

• Blackrubberducky

Posted January 04, 2014 - 05:45 PM

I'd make 110% sure that he did take it to a shop. If he didn't, he may have attempted the work himself and messed up something in his possible lack of experience.

• Goforaride

Posted January 04, 2014 - 05:53 PM

I'd make 110% sure that he did take it to a shop. If he didn't, he may have attempted the work himself and messed up something in his possible lack of experience.

yah I thought about that. I'm fairly confident he took it to the shop. I didn't see any tools in the garage and the guy seemed like he had never worked on a bike in his life. Hints the lack of oil and seized motor.

• mx4god

Posted January 05, 2014 - 12:42 AM

If it was ran out of oil, I'd look at it as pretty much a rolling chassis. I'd give 'em maybe 500 bucks.

• etuke

Posted January 05, 2014 - 06:08 AM

you have to run these bikes a short time to find oil on the dipstick if it was sitting a long time other wise it drains into the crank case,so it may not be out of oil at all.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:31 AM

You can buy a clean, running '06 for $2500 pretty easily, whereas with the one you found, you could end up spending $2500 on the parts and necessary sublet services (like valve seat refinishing).  On the other hand, you could also buy one running and end up rebuilding it in under a year.

• RLV199

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:40 AM

running and clean '06s are going for under 2000 here in central Virginia ....

• KJ790

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:27 AM

I agree, it's not worth much more than $500. I just sold a clean 06 for $2200. If it ran out of oil then it likely has a damaged head, camshafts, cylinder, piston, and possibly crankshaft. Right off the bat that is $1500 just in parts before you even add the labor.

• grayracer513

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Crank: $400

Cylinder: $300

Piston: $100

Rings, pin, clips: $35

Head: $800 (or $400 if repairable)

Valves: $400

Seals and gaskets: $125

Mains and other bearings: $250

Sublet valve seat work: $250

Timing chain, oil pump, etc.: $150

Do the math. 

That ignores whether it needs wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, steering head bearings, rims, tires, cables, plastics, chain and sprockets, plastics, etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goforaride

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Crank: $400
Cylinder: $300
Piston: $100
Rings, pin, clips: $35
Head: $800 (or $400 if repairable)
Valves: $400
Seals and gaskets: $125
Mains and other bearings: $250
Sublet valve seat work: $250
Timing chain, oil pump, etc.: $150

Do the math.

That ignores whether it needs wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, steering head bearings, rims, tires, cables, plastics, chain and sprockets, plastics, etc.

I get your point but your using high end numbers. I can get a whole motor for half of the cost of your list. I was educated on the oiling system and I am now unsure if it was actually out of oil. From what I have gathered, it is likely a dropped valve or a seized bearing. A dropped valve sounds like it is basically a new head, valves, cams, and all other parts in the head. Also acylinder and piston kit. Is that about right?

Edited by grayracer513, January 07, 2014 - 07:16 AM.

• Goforaride

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Granted it won't be a new motor, but a running one

• KJ790

Posted January 07, 2014 - 04:14 AM

I learned the hard way, a dropped valve means a new crank no matter how good the crank seems. Otherwise you may be putting another $1000 into it after about 2 hours of run time.

Even if you don't go with high end OEM parts, aftermarket parts still add up:

Cylinder works standard bore piston/cylinder kit: $560

Hot Rods crankshaft: $329

Hot Rods main bearings: $65

Used head off ebay: $450

Cam chain: $25

Miscellaneous gaskets: $50

That adds up to $1500 right there, and that is just the major components and no labor. Any used running engine on ebay is going to cost you $1300-up and you won't really know what you are getting.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:16 AM

Just saying not to go into the project without an awareness of the potential cost as compared to buying a running bike, that's all.  The numbers are all for new parts, but they're pretty realistic.

• Goforaride

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Just saying not to go into the project without an awareness of the potential cost as compared to buying a running bike, that's all. The numbers are all for new parts, but they're pretty realistic.

i hear you. I will be doing all the work myself with a little help. I'm just weighing the risk. I could pay a couple grand for a running bike and end up having to rebuild it before long anyways. Just trying to decide if I want to get this one, spend a little more and know I have a sound motor

• Goforaride

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:27 AM

From what I could tell the rest of the bike is sound. No leaking forks. Good rims. Frame is clean and strait it's basically perfect minus the motor

• KJ790

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:39 AM

If are planning on keeping it yourself and don't mind spending the time to fix it, then try to get it for $700 or so and then go through it. Then you will be in it for slightly more than a running bike (plus your labor) and you will know everything is new. I do this quite often with my personal bikes. My 2010 YZ450F was like this. At the time everyone wanted $5000 for their 2010 YZ450F's, and I got mine for $2500, then put another $2500 into it. In the end I paid the same as buying a used one, but I knew everything was new and was setup for me. I had a lot of hours into it, so I didn't really save much, but I'm ok with that.

If you are looking to get this bike and be money ahead then don't bother unless you are going to get it cheap and part it out.

• Goforaride

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:57 AM

So I decided to buy it. What's the best online parts dealer these days?
As far as price

• KJ790

Posted January 09, 2014 - 03:30 AM

I've been buying OEM Yamaha parts from Honda East Toledo lately. They are typically the cheapest I have seen, and they have free shipping over $100.

• blurz28

Posted January 09, 2014 - 04:58 PM

http://www.boats.net...50FV/parts.html
Or
http://www.cyclepart...com/default.asp

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.