Fuel Economy Map

14 replies to this topic
  • ggamster

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:48 AM

I have a 2012 WR 450 f with the power tuner and aftermarket ECM.I also have the pea shooter removed and the larger insert installed in the exhaust. I have the bike tuned exactly like I want it for the power delivery but I am getting really poor economy. About 30 miles until the light is on. I normally wouldn't care but as the race season is approaching I need to come up with a map that is a compromise. Do you guys have anything with your running that is giving you good fuel economy and a pretty decent map for muddy and rocky trails. I like the power to roll on sMooth on the bottom and and have a hard to snap on the top. Any advice would be great.

• Navaho6

Posted January 03, 2014 - 02:52 PM

If you are going to be racing, wouldn't performance be more important?  I doubt that changing to a softer map will yield much better results.  A bigger tank is the solution. 

I am getting about the same mileage as you are and I'm not hard on the throttle.  FMF pipe and MX map.

• GP1K

Posted January 03, 2014 - 03:46 PM

What does your current map look like? I had the same issue running the 'muddy/slippery conditions' map that works well on tight single track, but it sucked gas. So I've modified that map for less fuel and a bit more ignition. But as a basic rule of thumb, the more + you are on the fuel, the more it's going to suck gas, especially if you have the ignition retarded as well.

Oh yeah, I also added an IMS 3.0 gallon tank as well, but after changing my map I've noticed I would probably have been fine on most rides with the stock tank. I just don't fill it all the way depending on where I'm riding.

Edited by GP1K, January 03, 2014 - 03:47 PM.

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:16 AM

I have a 2012 WR 450 f with the power tuner and aftermarket ECM.I also have the pea shooter removed and the larger insert installed in the exhaust. I have the bike tuned exactly like I want it for the power delivery but I am getting really poor economy. About 30 miles until the light is on. I normally wouldn't care but as the race season is approaching I need to come up with a map that is a compromise. Do you guys have anything with your running that is giving you good fuel economy and a pretty decent map for muddy and rocky trails. I like the power to roll on sMooth on the bottom and and have a hard to snap on the top. Any advice would be great.

You could try putting the stock pipe back together then leaning the fuel back out. IMO, I don't think you will save a very noticeable amount and would be better off in just going to a larger tank.

• ggamster

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:36 PM

What does your current map look like? I had the same issue running the 'muddy/slippery conditions' map that works well on tight single track, but it sucked gas. So I've modified that map for less fuel and a bit more ignition. But as a basic rule of thumb, the more + you are on the fuel, the more it's going to suck gas, especially if you have the ignition retarded as well.

Oh yeah, I also added an IMS 3.0 gallon tank as well, but after changing my map I've noticed I would probably have been fine on most rides with the stock tank. I just don't fill it all the way depending on where I'm riding.

330. 123
441. 222
552. 211

Is what Im workin with. I love this. It has the best of everything. Just could use more fuel economy. I have tried the other maps and made up some others. This is just perfect.

• ggamster

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Check it

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0020.jpg

• 1trackmind

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:04 AM

About 30 miles until the light is on. .

Wow. I have been drooling over the FI WR, but I'm not so sure with economy like that. Is that equating to less than 18 mpg?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ggamster

Posted January 07, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Wow. I have been drooling over the FI WR, but I'm not so sure with economy like that. Is that equating to less than 18 mpg?

That sure is. Keep in mind I ride the bike hard in very tight woods. I'm sure it could do better in a more open setting.

• 1trackmind

Posted January 07, 2014 - 11:28 AM

Keep in mind I ride the bike hard in very tight woods. I'm sure it could do better in a more open setting.

That helps explain some.

• ggamster

Posted January 07, 2014 - 02:47 PM

The only bike that I have gotten a lot better economy is my 2012 WR250R. i would get 35-55 mpg depending on conditions.

• 1trackmind

Posted January 07, 2014 - 04:04 PM

I just need to throw a leg over one in the conditions I normally ride. I just don't feel comfortable riding someone elses bike unless I know them really well.

• GP1K

Posted January 07, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Check it

Ok I think my current map is somewhat close to this, but a little less fuel and ignition. I'll try to snap a pic of it and post later.

• timpjr

Posted January 12, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I have a '13 WR450F and have tried every map I could get my hands on.  Really what it came down to was finding a mapping that gave acceptable economy.  All the maps had a slightly different feel but really the fuel econ. was more important , the bike has more than enough power.  I have been using the MXA's "less hit" map and I had the dealer bump up my idle mixture to 3% from .5%.  Never really had starting problems once I figured out the "way".  I get between 30-35 per gallon econ.  I smoothed out the delivery with gearing change settling on 13/48.  I can rev nice out of third on the more open trails and climb anything in second/first.  FMF powerbomb header and GYTR muffler made the power incredible.

• ggamster

Posted January 13, 2014 - 05:37 AM

Well i need to do something. I got 22 miles on a tank this weekend. Now keep in mind i am riding in mud. I would guess that my back wheel is spinning twice the speed as the front. Those of you getting better economy, what are the trail conditions like?
Do you have the specs on the map recomended?

• mebgardner

Posted January 13, 2014 - 07:01 AM

I do not have the map you desire, but I have some advice...

Dyno your cycle, and then based on those results, begin to set a custom FI map (using the Power Tuner tool) for Max Power (.vs Best Econ).  I think I read that you'll likely be happy with close to the Max power portion of the curves (or, compromise, and move somewhere between Max Power and Best Econ for more range).

You're likely waaaay over to one side of the curves, further along the slopes (richer) than Max Power.  I believe I see that in the map you've published, above.

Have your dealer set the CO / Idle mix part of the map. 3.5-5% is good, with 5% being "race" mode. Do this whether or not you use access to the Dyno.

If no access to a dyno, or you prefer not to pay for it, then develop your own map.  Start with all zero's, and begin tweaking for your riding style and environment.

Once you have it "dialed in", tell us what you've come up with!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.