Engine light after stock MFD removal?

12 replies to this topic
  • tripledigits1

Posted December 31, 2013 - 10:02 PM

New to the WR450 here.  I have a 2012 which will be switched seasonally from off road to supermoto.  I've removed the stock display and installed TT voyager.  Went for a short test ride this afternoon, and the engine check light came on shortly after starting ride.  I haven't had any luck in finding out if this is related to removal of stock display.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Navaho6

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:06 AM

Did you modify any wiring?  It is more than likely just an electrical glitch.  Have the dealer check it with the diagnostic tool.  I removed my speedo and lights.  Filled the connectors with dialectric grease and covered them with tape.  No issues at all but I am not running an after-market speedo.   I use an hour meter which has an internal battery and I carry a Garmin gps which tells me everything I need to know. 

Edited by Navaho6, January 01, 2014 - 07:08 AM.

• tripledigits1

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:43 AM

Did you modify any wiring?  It is more than likely just an electrical glitch.  Have the dealer check it with the diagnostic tool.  I removed my speedo and lights.  Filled the connectors with dialectric grease and covered them with tape.  No issues at all but I am not running an after-market speedo.   I use an hour meter which has an internal battery and I carry a Garmin gps which tells me everything I need to know. 

No wiring mod other than adding brake light switch and tapping into tail light ground. Thanks, and Happy New Year!

• funt

Posted January 01, 2014 - 10:19 AM

I think it might be throwing a code for no speed sensor signal.  I was expecting the check engine light to come on when I removed mine but it never did.  Do you have the competition ECU yet?

• tripledigits1

Posted January 01, 2014 - 10:29 AM

I think it might be throwing a code for no speed sensor signal.  I was expecting the check engine light to come on when I removed mine but it never did.  Do you have the competition ECU yet?

No comp ECU yet, but I understand that's the best way to go for numerous reasons.  Thanks. Great forum, gents.

• funt

Posted January 01, 2014 - 12:54 PM

You could probably use a resistor to trick the ecu into thinking the speed sensor is still installed.  I don't think the competition ecu cares if a speed sensor is there or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Corkster

Posted January 01, 2014 - 02:15 PM

There is already a post covering this.  For 2012 onwards models, removing the stock speedo will trigger the engine warning light, with or without the comp ecu.

• Navaho6

Posted January 01, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Well, I removed my speedo and ran it with the oem ecu and competition ecu and the engine check light has never come on.

• Corkster

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Well, I removed my speedo and ran it with the oem ecu and competition ecu and the engine check light has never come on.

Did you remove the speedo sender?

• funt

Posted January 01, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Did you remove the speedo sender?

I removed mine.  I'm in USA though.  I think the Australia ECU is different than what we get.

Edited by funt, January 01, 2014 - 06:58 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:04 AM

I removed the stock computer and am running a Voyager also. Never had the CEL come on. I removed the whole speedo cable and sensor and replaced with a standard style aluminum wheel spacer. My bet is that you unplugged some connection behind the headlight when you were removing the stock computer.

• Corkster

Posted January 02, 2014 - 02:07 PM

I removed the stock computer and am running a Voyager also. Never had the CEL come on. I removed the whole speedo cable and sensor and replaced with a standard style aluminum wheel spacer. My bet is that you unplugged some connection behind the headlight when you were removing the stock computer.

Hmmm, interesting point.  I did install the whole GYTR offroad kit that comes with the Aussie bikes, so I will have a look at what else has been connected/disconnected.

• Corkster

Posted January 06, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hmmm, interesting point.  I did install the whole GYTR offroad kit that comes with the Aussie bikes, so I will have a look at what else has been connected/disconnected.

You were correct.  When I replaced the speedo bracket with the associated wiring, the light went off.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.