Starting Drill

6 replies to this topic
  • galant2nr

Posted January 05, 2004 - 11:23 PM


Ok, So I ride a WR426F and my dad rides a 650R. Maybe I can't figure it out, but my starting drill seems really easy compared to his. How do I start that BRP? What drill does everyone use? Thanks.

  • FlyByWire

Posted January 05, 2004 - 11:40 PM


It used to be a MAJOR pain for me to start my BRP... I was told my main problem was leaving the fuel in the carb for an extended period of time after my last ride... :)
All I do now is.. hold the compression release, kick the starter about 10-15 times (priming), find compression stroke (TDC), and it starts first time ALMOST every time. Ive got less than 125 miles on my bike, maybe this is why.
Brett :D

  • jtc89

Posted January 06, 2004 - 05:20 PM


FlyByWire has the right direction. I prime mine with the choke on full about 8-10 times. Then move choke to 1/2 and kick. It will start first kick about 90% of the time, second kick the other 10%. DO NOT touch the throttle until it is running. As soon sa it is running move choke to off. Ride off and enjoy the day. If it is hard to start, raise the idle a little. Give it a try.


Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • galant2nr

Posted January 06, 2004 - 09:04 PM


Really, I have to kick it 8-10 times before it will even consider starting? Makes my 1-2 kicks on the 426 seem like childsplay. What about the compression release? Ignore it?

  • smashinz2002

Posted January 06, 2004 - 09:16 PM


Here's what I do, and mine has never been hard to start, no more than 3 kicks cold, and one or two kicks warm.
Hold in the compression release, and push it through a few times. Release the lever, and push through slowly until it comes up on compression. Pull in the compression release, let go, then push down the starter about 1/3 down. Release the starter lever all the way back up, then KICK. Bike should start.
This is the same exact procedure I used on my YZ426, and it works every time. I've never had any luck with the automatic compression release on the XR. . That "just kick it over" thing just never works right for me. So I've always used the typical 4-stroke drill mentioned above, and it has worked on any 4-stroke I've ridden, including the old '83 DR500. Same drill.

  • irondude

Posted January 07, 2004 - 11:46 AM


You probably already did, but if not-Make sure you have it jetted correctly for your altitude. Reno must be fairly high up.

  • Carlisle1972

Posted January 07, 2004 - 02:20 PM


When cold choke on full, kick 8 to 10 times while holding compression release in, then immediatly release compression release and kick straight through, this needs to be done very very fast utilizing the momentum of the stroke from when you were holding the compression release in. Two very quick kicks first one with the CR lever in. Starts super easy used this same routine on my junky01yzf426 :D and my junky 01wr250f :) pot of gold 2001xr650r :D works super!!!

Related Content


2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.