yz 426 for woods

Yamaha YZ426F

25 replies to this topic
  • markcjr

Posted January 27, 2014 - 08:07 AM

Tanis, I'm going off my 8 years of owning these bikes.  Not saying it can't happen, as it obviously did to you and someone else in that thread.  But, in my experiene these engines have been bullit proof.  My appologies for saying "don't listent to this dude"....and that you probably hadn't owned one.  Mine are also 400's not the 426, so maybe something changed in the newer generation.  But still, reading through this thread, the majority of poeple have had good experiences with the engines.

• 426life

Posted January 31, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I vote for improper maintenance and wrong riding technique...one guy in the other forum mentioned riding wide open all day...that's asking for problems in the crank. They're just not made for that. I've had no problems out of my 01 only replaced piston and rings and it's a 2 kick kind of bike. Start it up let it get hot then let it ride. Change oil and clean filters and anything should last it's lifetime

• 4x4x

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:37 AM

I just picked up a 2000 426 off a buddy for about $400. 4th gear was reportedly "gone" but I said to heck with it and figured it would be a good/cheap way to get another bike in the stable. Well we have the engine all torn down now and the new gears on order(3rd and 4th pinion and #2 shift fork), along with a few other things I figured would be a good idea to replace while she's all torn down...AD hotcam (couldn't even start the damn thing lol), new piston/rings for the helluvit, timing chain, etc. Pretty excited to get it all back together and give it a test ride in the trees! Everyone's main gripe is the starting issues, but with the cam it should fire right up *fingers crossed* lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wadzi90

Posted February 10, 2014 - 11:09 AM

I just picked up a 2000 426 off a buddy for about $400. 4th gear was reportedly "gone" but I said to heck with it and figured it would be a good/cheap way to get another bike in the stable. Well we have the engine all torn down now and the new gears on order(3rd and 4th pinion and #2 shift fork), along with a few other things I figured would be a good idea to replace while she's all torn down...AD hotcam (couldn't even start the damn thing lol), new piston/rings for the helluvit, timing chain, etc. Pretty excited to get it all back together and give it a test ride in the trees! Everyone's main gripe is the starting issues, but with the cam it should fire right up *fingers crossed* lol

So with a hot cam it makes it easier to start? How much did that cost you

• 4x4x

Posted February 10, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yep the Hotcam Exhaust cam with auto decompression makes it a lot easier to start and you get rid of the decomp lever on the bars. I got mine for 130 off Ebay where Motosport wanted like 190. Just showed up in the mail woohoo

• WrightStuff

Posted March 07, 2014 - 05:49 PM

Mine came with the HotCam from the PO and then I swapped the carb for a 2007 YZ450 and perched the hot start where the 450s have them so now my 98 400 is just like a newer bike. It kicks over like a two stroke. I do need to give it 4-5 big handfuls of throttle with choke on when cold prior to kicking but then usually fires up 1-3 kicks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

02 WR426 Ticking when moved around in neutral w engine off by Alwaats

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Baja Designs YZ 400/426/450 General Discussion by Baja Designs

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  52 replies
Wiki
Computer fans for rads on Dirtbike? - last post by kwbmxr123

Computer fans for rads on Dirtbike?

Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ426 Stator Mod HELP by blueshortridge

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.