Yamaha diagnostic tool for WR's

25 replies to this topic
  • Remington_NC

Posted December 29, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hello, 

I am convinced I need the special dealer tool to adjust my bike. I have a 2012 WR450 and the usual stuff: gytr tuner, acra pipe and muffler, rekluse. I have about 500 miles on the bike, maybe more. If I let the bike sit for any more than a few days it will literally kill the battery trying to start it. It sometimes starts with the kick, sometimes not, Usually its a combination of wearing out the battery and my foot. When it gets going it runs awesome all day and the electric start works all day after the initial battle of getting it going. 

This tool is supposed to adjust the fuel % on idle and I have been reading this tool can make a huge difference. 

Here is my problem: None of the dealers near me have any idea of what I am talking about. I need to find a way to buy this tool. 

For those of you who have a 2012 its on page 1-17 on the owner manual, under "special tools" and its part # 90890-03125

If anyone knows anything, please help. 

• wrkronic450

Posted December 29, 2013 - 04:05 PM

This is only my second post. Newbie here! Spent a while looking into this topic, still not 100% on it all but. From my understanding you might b better off getting the power commander does FI and maps in one looks a lot better than the power tuner for $390. Two brothers racing do one for the yz450 I'm only guessing it will fit the wr, as for the Yammie FI tool there is one on eBay for $170ish. I'm spewing because I had just bought the power tuner and was looking at the FI tool when I came across those commanders half the price of the two and does twice as much. Not sure if this helps, im still on the fence about which way to go?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Put you bike on a battery tender

Eventually you will have to upgrade the battery, as letting die is very bad for it. It will start 10 times  better with a good Li battery.

Test the bike for 'parisitic power loss' using a test light

You should not need to add more fuel at idle if you use the recommended starting procedure

If you use the power commander, you have to use their ECU too, which is $400.00

• Remington_NC

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have done all that, less the LI battery. That might help as I have killed the stocker a couple of times. 

I have been reading more and more on the Yamaha tool, apparently its the only way to tune the A/F ratio on idle. Its also the only way you can read trouble codes from the ECU. 

No one has info on where to buy the Yamaha tool? 

• wrkronic450

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:49 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1388378925.303644.jpg
Can u not read!

• firejosh

Posted December 29, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Some good info towards the end of this thread.
http://www.thumperta...0-Starting-woes

• wrkronic450

Posted December 29, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Thanks josh I did read over that the other night. I havnt had a chance to play with my power tuner yet looking foward to it. I'll give mine a few more hours before I look at the comp ecu

• Remington_NC

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Oh I can read, can you pay attention to detail? 

The tool shown on ebay isn't what I asked for. My post lists a part number that does not match the ad in your post. 

try again. 

• William1

Posted December 31, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Oh I can read, can you pay attention to detail? 

The tool shown on ebay isn't what I asked for. My post lists a part number that does not match the ad in your post. 

try again. 

FYI

90890-03125 is a Radiator pressure tester. Google it.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Here's a screen shot from the Yamaha dealer site. The tool is a "dealer only" direct ship item. 

Warehouses Part Number  Description  Price  ESD  33  34  31 
908900321500 SERVICE DIAGNOSIS TOOL 747.90 NO ESD Discontinued 0 0 0

FYI

90890-03125 is a Radiator pressure tester. Google ti

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Look more carefully. Those are different part numbers.

This thread http://www.thumperta...0-starting-woes (previously mentioned by other posters) has the correct information about the 'dealer only' (which it is not, you can buy it, with a little effort) tool. There are also 3rd party tools. I inagine K&L or Motion Pro have one too.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:57 AM

Look more carefully. Those are different part numbers.

This thread http://www.thumperta...0-starting-woes (previously mentioned by other posters) has the correct information about the 'dealer only' (which it is not, you can buy it, with a little effort) tool. There are also 3rd party tools. I inagine K&L or Motion Pro have one too.

90890-03215 is the part number listed in the 2012/2013 WR450F manual (that's not the number that was listed above, but that is the number in the manual on the page that he listed). It is the old style Yamaha Diagnostic/FI tool. I have one on my desk. NOTE: This part number is no longer active with Yamaha OR K & L.

When I say dealer only I mean that you have to have a dealer get it for you. K & L does not sell to the public. 

For what it's worth; I have the new FI tool and the part number listed on the paperwork is 90890-03217.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted January 02, 2014 - 12:12 PM

We haven't used the new tool yet so no reports on it. I plan to try it out on my 2013 in the next couple of days.

• William1

Posted January 02, 2014 - 01:13 PM

90890-03215 is the part number listed in the 2012/2013 WR450F manual (that's not the number that was listed above, but that is the number in the manual on the page that he listed). It is the old style Yamaha Diagnostic/FI tool. I have one on my desk. NOTE: This part number is no longer active with Yamaha OR K & L.

When I say dealer only I mean that you have to have a dealer get it for you. K & L does not sell to the public. 

For what it's worth; I have the new FI tool and the part number listed on the paperwork is 90890-03217.

Please re-read the OP's post.

He mentions ###-03125 Not ###-03215

###-03217 is a new version for 2012/13 Wr's and other single cylinder Yamahas. The ###03216 (if anyone cares) is the FI tool for multi cylinder bikes. AFIK, it will work on a WR too. Tres' Expensive

When the last two numbers change, it is a new version, interchangeable with the old, available until stock is gone. If the number changes entirely, often the stock is pulled from the warehouse and the new part only is available.

Manuals are printed well before a bike is made. They are commonly full of errors.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted January 02, 2014 - 01:40 PM

I know what he typed. The answer to his question is this: The original part number that is listed in the manual is no longer available. YAMAHA is out of stock and K & L is out of stock. IF he wants the YAMAHA branded tool, he has to go to a dealer and have them order it. K & L does not sell direct.

• vlxjim

Posted January 02, 2014 - 03:54 PM

Put you bike on a battery tender

Eventually you will have to upgrade the battery, as letting die is very bad for it. It will start 10 times  better with a good Li battery.

Test the bike for 'parisitic power loss' using a test light

You should not need to add more fuel at idle if you use the recommended starting procedure

If you use the power commander, you have to use their ECU too, which is $400.00

Not true the WR's run very lean at idle for EPA and CARB. We have tested the CO levels at 2000RPM's (idle) and its very lean. Go read the last 5 or so pages of starting woes post, I can tell you upping the fuel at idle makes the WR's start much better. And if you though that the WR's hit hard off the line before Its is night and day with a bump up in fuel at idle. I had to pull the timing down a little it hit so hard. 

• Bluerex

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:58 AM

Not true the WR's run very lean at idle for EPA and CARB. We have tested the CO levels at 2000RPM's (idle) and its very lean. Go read the last 5 or so pages of starting woes post, I can tell you upping the fuel at idle makes the WR's start much better. And if you though that the WR's hit hard off the line before Its is night and day with a bump up in fuel at idle. I had to pull the timing down a little it hit so hard. 

Hi Vixjim what level are you running the CO to I was running +5 now trying +10 here in Australia, I have the F1 tool sorted out.

• vlxjim

Posted January 05, 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'm running +15 with the aftermarket FI tool. It starts with a base of 0. If its the Yamaha FI tool It would be 15 added to the base number it started with. Say the base was -6  +15 would = +9. 

• JDLowrance

Posted January 07, 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'm running +15 with the aftermarket FI tool. It starts with a base of 0. If its the Yamaha FI tool It would be 15 added to the base number it started with. Say the base was -6  +15 would = +9. 

Would like to try +15. Offer still good to try your FI tuner out?

• Remington_NC

Posted January 12, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ok guys, I'm back, (original poster) Thank you for all of your help.

In the "Wr starting woes" thread is a lot of good information as pointed out by someone here. I ordered a china tool and it will not fit my bike. Specifically the competition GYTR computer plug. 

The threads here are all correct, I got someone from Yamaha North America to help me out. The Yamaha Fi tool part number listed in my owners manual has been replaced by a new number. It doesn't matter because they only sell one tool to a dealer. Now my guy is telling me the tool will not even do what I am looking to do. 

I have a 12 WR450, and want a tool to connect to my GYTR computer connector and allow me to richen up the idle portion of computer. People have done this and are still doing it, but the specific tool they use is a mystery and the connector is also a mystery. 

Most of the people with success list the link to the tool they bough, then that seller says its discontinued. I got one and it will not connect to my bike, and was china junk. 

If you know of a tool with the connector please send me the links. I will find a way to repay you for your time. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.