03 yz450. Header glowing red hot.

17 replies to this topic
  • Scura

Posted December 29, 2013 - 10:55 AM

I was riding yesterday and when we got back it was dark. I noticed the header was glowing red towards the jug area. Thoughts? Is this normal?

• DirtyMan

Posted December 29, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Did it get dented? If not it must be running rich.

• Scura

Posted December 29, 2013 - 12:42 PM

No dents. I know the carb needs some work because its got one hell of a dead spot off idle.

• yzdaddy

Posted December 29, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I was riding yesterday and when we got back it was dark. I noticed the header was glowing red towards the jug area. Thoughts? Is this normal?

Normal

• New to 4S-Joe

Posted December 29, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Did it get dented? If not it must be running rich.

It's running lean. No it shouldn't .

• DirtyMan

Posted December 29, 2013 - 02:14 PM

It's running lean. No it shouldn't .

If he was so lean that he made the exhaust glow he would have melted the motor down or aleast been misfiring so bad he couldn't ride it. When you are running rich it puts a lot of heat into the exhaust.

• Mr. Parker

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:00 PM

A stock head pipe will glow while the bike is still. They are thin walled. Bike is made to move. Mine was running lean enough before to glow the pipe all the way past the peg when the jets were clogged some.

• capt justin

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:08 PM

it is normal, Ive seen three 450's all stock all did it

• New to 4S-Joe

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:27 PM

If he was so lean that he made the exhaust glow he would have melted the motor down or aleast been misfiring so bad he couldn't ride it. When you are running rich it puts a lot of heat into the exhaust.

Oil and fuel cool the piston plus it's water cooled cylinder, so it's not necessarily going to melt the engine. Like CJParker said the exhaust is thin walled and it only gets cooled when air is moving over it. It's a lean condition might not be to lean, but it's lean!

it is normal, Ive seen three 450's all stock all did it

No it's not  the jettings off or the fuel maps off. The only time my pipe glowed red was when my fuel map was lean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Read: http://www.thumperta...ing-bright-red/

• capt justin

Posted December 30, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Oil and fuel cool the piston plus it's water cooled cylinder, so it's not necessarily going to melt the engine. Like CJParker said the exhaust is thin walled and it only gets cooled when air is moving over it. It's a lean condition might not be to lean, but it's lean!

No it's not  the jettings off or the fuel maps off. The only time my pipe glowed red was when my fuel map was lean.

Well you must be new to 4 stroke race bikes because it is normal. Lean, sure that's how they are jetted or mapped. Dangerous? yea don't touch it. Is it gonna blow? yea its a four stroke , lol , all joking aside. Every one I've seen did it standing still in low light. Don't sit still and idle on a race bike for more than a minute.

Edited by capt justin, December 30, 2013 - 04:49 PM.

• New to 4S-Joe

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Well you must be new to 4 stroke race bikes because it is normal. Lean, sure that's how they are jetted or mapped. Dangerous? yea don't touch it. Is it gonna blow? yea its a four stroke , lol , all joking aside. Every one I've seen did it standing still in low light. Don't sit still and idle on a race bike for more than a minute.

Yeah I am new to four strokes! My RMZ only has done it when it was lean, but I have a stainless exhaust not Ti. Maybe Ti's different! The RMZ has to be idled for 3 minutes to due oil check and I've never had my exhaust glow!

• capt justin

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:42 PM

the ti exhaust is very thin and that causes the glow also. My buds 2006 yz 450 has glowed since new, no problems what so ever. You might be able to jet the glow out of it but it would be pig rich.

• 2012yz450f

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:24 PM

I got the same problem, I just did the valve adjustment on  the 2008 yz450, put the valve in the tight spec as .004" for intake, and .008" for exhaust. The bike ran perfect but my header was glowing, and I dont believe it was glowing before.. so you guys think the bike is running rich?  

Here is the Video, I just uploaded... Your Help is much appreciated as well

http://s37.photobuck...ia/030.mp4.html

• Mr. Parker

Posted January 03, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Did you not even read the other post???

• 06yz

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:00 AM

It's totally normal, you don't need to adjust anything.  4 strokes run super hot.  here's mine after a wash after only running for literally 10 seconds

photo (1).JPG

MAX!!!

• Scura

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Exactly how my fmf looked.

• 2012yz450f

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:07 PM

It's totally normal, you don't need to adjust anything.  4 strokes run super hot.  here's mine after a wash after only running for literally 10 seconds

attachicon.gifphoto (1).JPG

MAX!!!

Thanks guys for your input, i guess it is normal for all the four strokers to glow this red.   I just switched over to four stroke from 2 stroke for the first time in 25 years recently summer, except my first bike was a z50 honda.    I didnt see the header glow this red  until i re adjusted the valves, maybe it was because it was alittle dark out already. I thought about jetting my carb to make it less red, maybe make it more rich as it seems everyone saying its running lean.  I want more power, its never enough power. ;)     Are any of you from BC?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.