2002 426 problems in the shop $$$

9 replies to this topic
  • bmxchamp00

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:32 AM

So I get this 426 for $900; good deal right? The previous owner says that it just needs a carb clean. Well after $850 of a carb rebuild kit, a whole new stator and labor, the bike still doesn't run. It will start roughly the first time but won't turn over if try to start it again. Could this be the computer? Please help me! Thanks

• etuke

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:01 AM

when you say won't turn over do you mean seized?If so then you better check out the crank.I had a 01 426 and it locked up then freed up on me and it was the crank big end bearing bad.

• timbanditos

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:13 AM

I think you need to become buddies with someone who wrenches, I couldn't imagine paying $850 for a carb rebuild and stator install. You should be able to do both of those on your own, if not it would really benefit you to learn.

Edited by timbanditos, December 29, 2013 - 08:14 AM.

• bmxchamp00

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:44 PM

I ment the bike won't start after starting it already... It sounds like it is about to but never does. Thanks though

• sogood4905

Posted December 30, 2013 - 05:19 PM

check that you have gas.my 426 was doing what yours is and i had forgot to add gas.sometimes it is as simple as that and we make it complicated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bmxchamp00

Posted December 31, 2013 - 12:19 PM

"Check that you have gas.my 426 was doing what yours is and i had forgot to add gas.sometimes it is as simple as that and we make it complicated."

Yeah, and also the petcock's seal is bad so air could be getting sucked through also. Thanks!

• etuke

Posted December 31, 2013 - 03:27 PM

"Check that you have gas.my 426 was doing what yours is and i had forgot to add gas.sometimes it is as simple as that and we make it complicated."

Yeah, and also the petcock's seal is bad so air could be getting sucked through also. Thanks!

gravity feed so it will just leak,won't suck air.

• rogo1

Posted January 02, 2014 - 05:59 AM

when I got my 426 the pilot jet was plugged and wasn't allowing fuel through. new pilot jet and problem solved. acted the way yours is. would start barely, run for a second and not restart ever. just something to consider. I didn't bother with trying to clean the pilot either just because its such a small diameter and its so cheap to get new jets

• crf450319

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Air, fuel, spark... like others have suggested, check your pilot jet (long skinny jet, seated right beside the main jet), after that I'd make sure your all of your timing marks are lined up & that your cam sprockets haven't jumped/skipped.

You're gonna have to get real handy, real quick if you wanna keep from dishing out lots of $$ to the shop. This forum will be an excellent resource for you.

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Pilot jets are easily cleaned if you do it right:

http://www.thumperta...o/#entry6879695

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.