07 450 - can't kick with spark plug in, can with out

8 replies to this topic
  • fldrifter

Posted December 28, 2013 - 04:34 PM

This seems to be a different issue than my last valve seal problem. The bike ran fine and kicked over fine, this has come up now after that was solved.

The bike is almost impossible to kick over with the spark plug in. I took the plug out and I can kick the bike over fine. No issues, feels like it should. Put the plug back in and I can get half a kick before it's a brick wall. Bike has spark as well, tested it.

I thought it is my auto decompression, so I put the bike in third gear and was able to roll it a couple feet back and forth and can hear the cylinder moving. But still a brick wall when trying to kick.

Second problem, possibly what my issue above is. My clutch lever does not seem to put the bike in neutral. I have adjusted the lever and even used a bar to pull the mechanism on the transmission back but the bike won't come out of gear. I can change gears for the most part without it. What I mean is shifting to first gear, it will sometimes shift, other times it stays in neutral. If it shifts properly the bike will go through all gears without issue. If it doesn't shift then it stays in neutral no matter what.

I have taken the clutch / clutch basket out. Everything looked fine and the bike would shift gears seemingly fine. The basket is fine as it has no groove wear from the plates.

I'm at a loss at this point. What do I need to check or look at?

• Arizo

Posted December 28, 2013 - 05:50 PM

I can be wrong but the problem about not being able to kick it over, maybe your exhaust valves don't open up?

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Cam timing.  The exhaust cam has slipped, probably because the chain has kinks in it.

• fldrifter

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Tomorrow I will take the valve cover off and take a look. If the chain kinks should I order a new one? Preferably with a master link so I don't have to take everything a part?

Also, when setting TDC, my crank has 3 mark lines? The manual says nothing about 3 marks, just 1. I used the middle one, was this correct?

Edited by fldrifter, December 28, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:01 PM

The chains don't come with master links.  If the cam timing is found to be incorrect, the chain needs to be replaced.

• fldrifter

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the link, I will need to order a flywheel puller with the chain if I find that to be my problem.

• fldrifter

Posted December 29, 2013 - 10:25 AM

I don't know how you have answers for everything, but you were correct. No surprise there.

Exhaust cam has slipped 1/3 the way around. Makes sense why the bike ran the first two times I fired it up after the rebuild. As it hadn't slipped yet.

• grayracer513

Posted December 29, 2013 - 01:07 PM

And the chain is bad, by the looks of it.  Note the circled links.  All the pins on the top run should be on the same straight line.

What happened is that the engine "bounced back" off compression once as it was shut down.  The reversal of tension pulled the kinks out on the back side, leaving slack in the front, and slid the chain over the exhaust cam.

Attached Thumbnails

• jibr772l.jpg

• fldrifter

Posted December 29, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ah I see the kink in the picture.

I've ordered a flywheel puller and new chain so happy new year to the bike work. Lol

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.