Lowering 2014 YZ 450

5 replies to this topic
  • berad01

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Just wanted some opinions on how to get 2 or 3 more inches lower out of my bike.
The Sag is set and I have the factory standard blue spring in the back and I have not yet lowered the front shocks.
Should I shave the seat like Carmichael did. I also know you can buy a lowering linkage and different spring.
Just want to know which way is best.

• i want to ride

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:55 AM

You can get 2" with custom springs so if you need 3" shave the set. Now with that said we took my wife bike wr 250 to the house of horse power in Okla city and bike was set for her weight and yes even doing this you lose travel but she not out there airing it out more then 3 ft. She is so happy being able to touch the ground with both feet and the ride.

• YamaLink

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:31 AM

When you shave the seat the rule is "less is more" because things get really uncomfortable after a short amount of time.

Sounds like your sag is set correctly around 100-106mm? It's a good way to get "free" lowering.

When you raise the fork tubes up take your time. There is no 1:1 lowering ratio with the rear and changes to fork height will affect geometry and ride quality at a much different rate than changes to the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ekulb14

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:23 AM

in the end lowering is worth doing right, a lowering link will give you 2 inches, shaving the seat maybe a inch and you can move the forks up as everyone said, but all these will mess with something. If you have the cash and want the best finished product  have the springs shortned.

Edited by ekulb14, January 02, 2014 - 09:24 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2014 - 12:35 PM

in the end lowering is worth doing right, ... If you have the cash and want the best finished product  have the springs shortned.

There's a lot more to real suspension lowering than shortening springs. 

• motoxjeff

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Ok first of all what is your sag set at? Run it at 110, and move your forks up a tad. This solves 95% of the bikes cornering/ handling issues for '14.

What are your settings at now? Are you an MX racer or a trail guy?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.