How do I replace the shift shaft in my 06 yz450f

7 replies to this topic
  • Tj420tj

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Any info or experience is much appreciated thanks

• Garett0439

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:20 AM

On my 250f I removed the shift lever, carefully pulled the clutchside sidecase in order to reuse the seal, I dont remember if I had to remove the clutch or not, but ended up basically pulling it out from the clutch side.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Changing the shift shaft requires the removal of the Right side cover and clutch from a YZ450, so draining the coolant is required, too.  You can avoid draining the oil if you lay the bike on its side.

• Tj420tj

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thanks guys, someone said I had to split the case to get to the shaft here at a local shop. Is that true, or is grayracers way the way to do it without splitting the case? Thanks again everyone

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Thanks guys, someone said I had to split the case to get to the shaft here at a local shop. Is that true, or is grayracers way the way to do it without splitting the case? Thanks again everyone

No case splitting required. I would drain the oil, I am sure that when you pull the shaft out it will dump out the hole where the shaft was. I have only done this while bikes are on a work stand so Gray could be right. Take your time and you will be fine.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:55 AM

No, actually, you're right. Oil would drain from the shaft bore on the low side. It would only be the amount in the sump, though, and not all if it. Still, usually a good idea to change oil after engine work anyway.

• Tj420tj

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ok thanks, is the shift shaft and shift pedal the only parts I will need or are there other parts I will need? I have a stripped/worn shift shaft and shifter.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Right cover gasket, shift shaft seal, copper washer for the coolant drain, etc., may or may not be needed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.