any super motard racers out there?

2 replies to this topic
  • pabsy

Posted December 30, 2001 - 12:57 PM

hi, newish to the board

santa delivered a yz426 for xmas finally

i will mod it to run on slicks up at loudon nh, i also run a gsxr600 pics at ! (i'm the one thats not bald or fat)

anyway heeeeeeellpp please :)
to mod this bike

i will put on 17" excel rims and braking usa oversize front rotors, and lockwire of course, gearing and my trusty chickenhawks

what else do i need to do, which slicks do i run ?, suspension mods , performance. tools etc

jb426 who runs loudon and team scream gave me some great tips
and i'm just checking back to get updates

i'm a total mx newbie so any help would be great

(oh and i did a search)

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: pabsy ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastkevin

Posted December 30, 2001 - 01:09 PM

I would lower it, soften up the compression, and crank on the rebound. I don't know about running slicks, at least on the front(not enough weight up there to get decent heat into the tire). If it's a YZ go with the tallest CS sprocket, and smallest rear you can get on there without doing any damage. The CS sprocket is the same as an Aprilia RS250 (if that helps) I think I've put a 16 on the front and a 47 on the back without having to add links. Keep in mind too, a 17" wheel is really going to lower your gearing. If you have a YZ, I've heard of people installing WR gears -run a search. Good luck

• moto614

Posted December 30, 2001 - 01:51 PM

pabsy, i have built a couple of motard bikes,suzuki DR650 and a CR500 both of which were street ridden and not raced but from what i've read and learned,some guys run a rain tire on the front and a slick on the rear(the rain tire heats up quicker)for pure road courses and pirelli MT21s for tracks w/off road sections(like that come stock on the KTMduke)also when putting the rear wheel together you may want to either lace the rim slightly to one side or space the front and rear sprockets out to get extra chain clearance for the rear tire,i used a washer between the sprocket and hub on the rear and a couple of shims(of equal thickness to the washers in the rear)for the front sprocket,be sure to watch the clearance between the chain and the inner part of the frame though,i've also heard of clearance problems with the front tire and fork gaurds on the YZ which you could either trim or remove them if needed good luck with the project super motards are a blast to ride you'll probably want to sell your gsxr after you ride the sm'd YZ

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.