'05 wr450f sat 1 1/2 years, wont start

6 replies to this topic
  • scott94086

Posted December 26, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Howdy!  My wr450 won't start after sitting for some time. I bought a naw battery, drained the bowl, cleaned the jets ( really dirty), flushed the tank, new high octaine gas, and put a little seafoam with the gas. I'm not sure if my stepson fooled with the mix or idle. It turns over fine, but doesn't fire with or without the choke. Any ideas?

• RockerYZWR

Posted December 26, 2013 - 01:50 PM

It has to be either air, fire, fuel, or compression. How does the plug look? If it's wet looking or dirty you will have problems. With everything else you describe, I'd pull the plug and see how it looks.

• ftl900

Posted December 26, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Howdy!  My wr450 won't start after sitting for some time. I bought a naw battery, drained the bowl, cleaned the jets ( really dirty), flushed the tank, new high octaine gas, and put a little seafoam with the gas. I'm not sure if my stepson fooled with the mix or idle. It turns over fine, but doesn't fire with or without the choke. Any ideas?

Are you getting a hot spark at the spark plug?   Is it cranking fast enough??  Maybe a jump would help if it's cranking slowly.

Are you getting fuel into the bike?   (smell the exhaust fumes coming out the pipe) That's why I like running a clear fuel filter, I can see that it's getting gas at least into the carb.   If you have gas going in, drain the carb and see if gas is getting into the float bowl.  If there isn't any, it could be a stuck float or stuck float valve . 

Have you tried starting fluid to see if it will fire that way?  if it starts on starting fluid but not otherwise, then it's a fuel supply problem.

What about an obstruction in the airbox??  Mice have been known to build nests inside an airbox... ya can't make this stuff up!

Good luck!

Edited by ftl900, December 26, 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Definetely check for spark and fuel before you go any further. I just spent hours chasing my tail on an old CB360 that I've been working on to find out that my petcock wasn't working. Ended up it was plugged from setting.

• flyandride

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:38 PM

I worked on a bike this summer that just wouldn't start.  Turned out that mud dauber wasps had made a nest in the muffler, completely blocking it.  

• scott94086

Posted December 27, 2013 - 01:18 PM

So I dropped the float bowl, cleaned the jets ( I'm not sure if I got them all), cleaned the float valve, float, bowl, etc., and got the gas to flow. New battery's in, new plug, put the t- handled thing 2.5 turns out and got it to fire up. I know my kid fooled with the idle and fuel mix, but it's running. When I warm it for a few (still doesn't wand to idle on it's own), and put it in first, it dies right away. Any ideas? Clutch out of adjustment? idle to low?
Anyway, I thought it was going to have to go in the shop. I'm just glad it's running. It only took three days. I couldn't believe how much green sludge and scale was in there! What are they putting in the gas these days? It's hardly fit to drink anymore! Hope your Holidays are treating you well!

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted December 28, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Bad Pilot Jet if wont idle on its own -

Also take a flashlight and look inside the tank.  Even though you flushed it, you could have sludge on the walls that will go right back into the carb/pilot jet.Check the fuel line too.

I had similar prob while living in AZ on back up bike, gas evaporated leaving residue in gas tank on bike and gas can and fuel line.  I would clean the pilot and it would prompty plug up again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.