Better Desert Bike? YZF or WR 450

4 replies to this topic
  • RogerP

Posted January 05, 2004 - 04:26 PM

Hopefully this will get me some advice on which to purchase. I am 43 years old and ride mostly in the sand dunes and open desert. I currently ride a 'YZ250 and enjoy the light bike and easy starting. I have also owned an KTM 450 and liked the e button but hated the maintenance. So help me make a decision that the WR is the way to go. Does it have the same horsepower or do I need to spend more money to make it perform like the YZF?

• Tom14911

Posted January 05, 2004 - 05:29 PM

Just my opinion. I took my almost stock 426 to Glamis for a week a couple of months ago. It smoked any of the two strokes I used to ride out there. Maybe it was just me but I thought the 4 stroke did real well.

I have minor changes: pipe, header, yz timing, free mods, steering damper, paddle tire.

But that thing ROCKED in the desert.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RogerP

Posted January 05, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Yeah I rode my friends stock 426 with paddle tire and was really impressed with the power! I just couldn't get it started when it was hot. I am a pretty small guy and need the e start...

thanks for the reply..

• Tom14911

Posted January 05, 2004 - 05:46 PM

No, you just need the Dubach hot start (on the throttle side). And proper jetting. It cracks me up when I read these jetting posts, I ride my bike from the desert to almost 6000 feet (goat mountain, stonyford) and it runs great and starts all the time. I can start my 426 cold on the first kick 99% of the time. The other option is to not let the engine die.....yea right. I haven't mastered that one either.

Anyhow, I would recommend a four stroke, if I could afford a new bike I would probably buy a 450exc, but the 426 runs great.

• HalfFast

Posted January 05, 2004 - 07:03 PM

I have both a WR and a YZ 426. They are two very different bikes. The WR is set up for Desert Racing with a higher top speed and softer ride. The YZ is quicker but not as fast and the suspension is more firm. If you're going to spend more time in the Dez I would go with the WR. You can't go wrong either way. They're both BLUE!! :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.