426 carburetion

2 replies to this topic
  • G-BRO

Posted December 24, 2013 - 03:28 PM

It seems like no matter what I do, I cant get the carburetor set up right on my 426. The mid and top end seem to be strong but the low end off idle has been a major problem lately. I have an external idle mixture screw installed and it seems like it constantly needs adjusting to get a crisp throttle response off idle. I know your not supposed to abruptly open the throttle while the bike is on a stand, but I feel like I sshould have much better results than I currently do. Anybody want to chime in on experience with this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted December 25, 2013 - 12:10 AM

The 400/426 carbs arent that great.  As much as I still love my 400  -  abrupt off ilde wacks of the throttle wether on the stand or while riding can cause a stumble.  I have never been able to completely tune this out.  While normal riding and racing it shouldnt happen but if I really want to I can cause it to stumble. 

Saw a thread that GreyRacer posted up a response too and he references which 450 carbs to swap in for better results. Look for the post " help for 99 Carb"

My 04 & 06 is crisp and clean.

Edited by Team_Oatmeal_Pie, December 25, 2013 - 12:13 AM.

• G-BRO

Posted December 25, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Good to know about the possible carb swap. The main reason I complian is because I feel like the bike is much more sensitive to any carburetor adjustments than any other bike I've own. Just when I get things correct I feel like I ride it a week later and it is out of adjustment again!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.