Question about plug # (hot or cold)

4 replies to this topic
  • john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted December 30, 2001 - 12:03 PM

The 426 is supposed to have a CR8E, but an auto parts store sold me some CR9E instead.

I told him that I needed CR8E, and he came back and said "here you go." I didn't even look at the box, I just assumed that they were right. I didn't notice that they were different till I used, fouled, about 4 of them.

My question is this;

Is this a hotter or colder plug? My bike seems to be fouling these like crazy, and it never fouled plugs before.

I just did the BK mod today and I put in a 168 main, 45 pilot, and the clip in the 5th position and the #9 plug.

Temp is about 30 degrees, and I'm at sea level.

It seemed to run ok, but it wouldn't idle and it seemed a tad rich on the bottom.

Any thoughts???

Thanks for your help.
John

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u ]

• PARTSGURU

Posted December 30, 2001 - 12:46 PM

THE CR9E IS A COLDER PLUG THAN THE CR8E.IN COLDER TEMPS THE CR9E WILL FOUL QUICKER, YOU MIGHT EVEN WANT TO RUN A CR8EVX, WHICH IS AN NGK PLATINUM PLUG.IT HAS WORKED GREAT FOR ME. LATER

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted December 31, 2001 - 12:07 AM

you should get your money back for the plugs-but i doubt you will because they are now all used and unusable again.

the only way they will work is if your jetting is leaned right off. unfortunately while you could be doing all the testing you will foul some more!

go to cr8e or even to cr7e (especially for the winter).

Taffy

• john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted December 31, 2001 - 04:44 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I still have 3 #9 plugs left that are new, I'm going to take them back to the auto parts store and try to exchange them for #8's.

John

• mikeolichney

Posted December 31, 2001 - 08:01 AM

Taffys right, a CR7 series works better if its cold.

I know alot of guys here hate MXA, but this is a good article on plugs.

http://www.motocross...pten.asp?id=410

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.