picked up a couple 2 fiddy's

traded my rm125 for these 2 kx 250's both 1998's
1 is complete and runs nice (needs tires) has new hinson clutch basket new top end works connections guards all over the place ims oversized pegs.
2013-12-21182210_zps866f3ed4.jpg

the other one is a parts bike, has alot of goodies with it. new crank bearings/seals (in a box) a whole extra engine with useable bottom end and new oem clutch carb reed cage/boot extra and exhaust
2013-12-21182204_zps3fc26195.jpg

2013-12-21182156_zpse6f90768.jpg

it doesn't want to idle off choke and im assuming it's flooding out a bit (gas in airboot) wondering what the float height should be set at etc.

i'd really like some cold weather jetting specs for the runner, it has a fmf fatty and a shorty silencer. it has a 158 and a 40 in it now. putting a 45 pilot in it after i pick one up.
in any other general tips comments idea's to help make this bike a woods weapon would be greatly appreciated!

traded my rm125 for these 2 kx 250's both 1998's

1 is complete and runs nice (needs tires) has new hinson clutch basket new top end works connections guards all over the place ims oversized pegs.

2013-12-21182210_zps866f3ed4.jpg

the other one is a parts bike, has alot of goodies with it. new crank bearings/seals (in a box) a whole extra engine with useable bottom end and new oem clutch carb reed cage/boot extra and exhaust

2013-12-21182204_zps3fc26195.jpg

2013-12-21182156_zpse6f90768.jpg

it doesn't want to idle off choke and im assuming it's flooding out a bit (gas in airboot) wondering what the float height should be set at etc.

i'd really like some cold weather jetting specs for the runner, it has a fmf fatty and a shorty silencer. it has a 158 and a 40 in it now. putting a 45 pilot in it after i pick one up.

in any other general tips comments idea's to help make this bike a woods weapon would be greatly appreciated!

Sweet bike, man. I've got a 1998 and some people argue that it was the best KX250 that Kawasaki ever made.

Anyway, to make my bike better in the woods, I added handguards, a kickstand, a pipe guard, and a skidplate (all ricochet stuff). The skidplate has taken some good hits, so has the pipe guard, and the handguards have saved my hands more than once. The kickstand is convinent. The bike already had an FMF system when I got it...also, I changed the gearing back to the stock 13/51. I like it that way.

Edit: Hey, I talked to you on reddit a few days ago.

Edited by lethalweapon100

i've got the handguards and skid plate thing down, im talking internal mods etc, going to have my suspension revalved after Christmas. if i need to set my bike down it's at the truck :ride: haven't looked too much at the gearing, still more worried about the jetting and the kicker return spring that i forgot to wind tight enough while installing a new kicker shaft (internal splines were slightly stripped) :rant:

great deal you got. Check pro circuit jetting specs online. You are lean now for winter riding. 

thanks!

i was thinking i was a little lean, but having mikuni's for so long go me out of the loop ?. i rode it for 5 minutes today and by that i mean tried to ride it through my yard (a foot of snow and no back tire) next step after jetting is putting my borgs on :devil:

so help me out here, im having trouble starting it in the cold (garage is about 20 degree's right now) i've got it started a few times, good on compression spark and fuel.
starting procedure
1st turn gas on.

2 choke

3 slow kicks.

find tdc and kick her in the ass.

im still used to my one two five where a little throttle and she'd start no matter the weather. any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

i've got the handguards and skid plate thing down, im talking internal mods etc, going to have my suspension revalved after Christmas. if i need to set my bike down it's at the truck :ride: haven't looked too much at the gearing, still more worried about the jetting and the kicker return spring that i forgot to wind tight enough while installing a new kicker shaft (internal splines were slightly stripped) :rant:

I think I had to pull that case cover off 3 times before I got the spring right. Just make sure you wind it so it has the tension and not just installing it without tension. I was also a n00b with the KX, I brought it home, washed it, and got to work. Anyway, mods. Maybe an FMF Gnarly pipe and a flywheel weight?

I think I had to pull that case cover off 3 times before I got the spring right. Just make sure you wind it so it has the tension and not just installing it without tension. I was also a n00b with the KX, I brought it home, washed it, and got to work. Anyway, mods. Maybe an FMF Gnarly pipe and a flywheel weight?

gearings at 13:50 probably try it out and see if i like it or not before then. i found it harder to put the case on than getting anything right haha. have to line up to many things for my dyslexic self.

hope fully it'll start when it's not 14 below... like tomorrow or thursday. been a little too cold lately.

gearings at 13:50 probably try it out and see if i like it or not before then. i found it harder to put the case on than getting anything right haha. have to line up to many things for my dyslexic self.

hope fully it'll start when it's not 14 below... like tomorrow or thursday. been a little too cold lately.

It's been cold here but not -14 cold. Like 5-10 degrees, but jeez... -14. Wow.

well got to ride her around a bit today and she runs rich but im sure i put a bit too much oil on the mains and on the crank bearing. but better rich than lean!
20131228_153535_zps8bdd6af2.jpg
20131227_201533_zpsdc575523.jpg shiny case
20131227_194856_zpsa0653e76.jpg bottom end on my mess of a bench :devil:

20131226_182301_RichtoneHDR_zps9cb8dd48.
20131227_160821_zps2fdcd701.jpg specing the tranny out
20131227_160826_zpsc009046a.jpg speced out the crank and it was all good
probably going riding tomorrow. we'll see how it goes ?

• Like 1

got a question, re packed silencer and checked jetting and what not, float height seems correct, but when i get the chance i'll post a picture of it because it's still crazy rich on the bottom end, i know i need to check where my needle is at but maybe i should drop to a 40 main?

Edited by Theeebalz

awesome score !! curious are u rebuilding the parts bike then or keeping it a a prats bike? 

whats the pics of the motor? 

pics of the engine are it getting new main seals, you have to split the cases on this generation to get the seals out and the new in. i just spent time specing stuff out in the bottom end because i felt it the smart choice haha

on the parts bike i'm on the fence. needs ALOT of love. but i still see profit from it. wouldn't be worth while to make race ready i dont think.