WR 450 exhaust

4 replies to this topic
  • tiout

Posted January 05, 2004 - 12:52 PM

I just got a new WR 450. When I start it up the exhaust pipe coming out of the cylinder becomes red hot. Yamaha is telling me that it is normal and is especially visible in a dark environement. Is this correct.

• yam450

Posted January 05, 2004 - 01:00 PM

I have the '03 WR450 and it does the same thing. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • edwardsp

Posted January 05, 2004 - 02:41 PM

We all have that question at first. The new lightweight pipes are very thin and glow easily. It happens on several bikes, but particularly the recent year Yamahas. Try letting it idle for a minute at night - now that's red. Since these radiators have no fan, they require adequate air movement to do their job well. :)

• LiquidSilver

Posted January 05, 2004 - 10:46 PM

Yup... she'll boil like a tea kettle if you leave her idling too long.

:)

• WR450F_RDR

Posted January 06, 2004 - 07:44 AM

just a word of caution most new bikes are jetted pretty lean from yamaha, so you might want to look into that as well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.