Just bought a new 2004 WR450F

5 replies to this topic
  • flymybike

Posted December 19, 2013 - 09:23 PM

New is relative, 2004 isn't new by any means but I just picked up a 2004 with 138 miles and I am so stoked.

I had a 04 YZ 450f and it was amazing, heavy but handled great. I bought a 08 KTM a year ago for the WR gearing yet haven't been feeling the love the YZ gave.

So how do I make this old/new bike feel like my YZ? I'd like to keep it street legal and need it to be reliable too. I seem to end up way out, way fast.

Any tip on the standard mods I must do as well as the POW mods I'd like to do, greatly appeciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_79591.JPG

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 19, 2013 - 09:43 PM

All the mods are listed at the top of the forum.

This bike and your YZ don't share a lot of parts.

The forks, shock, head, cams, etc are all considerably higher performance on the YZ.

I had the same bike and rode it till it was completely worn out...

If if were me, I'd find some used YZ suspension and keep the motor stock accept for jetting and a pipe, add a big tank the the necessary ergo changes and be done.

Setting up the carb is a pain, but really cheap to do, and is a must-do if you want throttle response.

Edited by Krannie, December 19, 2013 - 09:46 PM.

• flymybike

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thanks Krannie! I found the thread on 05 mods list, tons of help. I think your right , sticking to the simple mods that give me the most is the way to go. Big tank for sure and the carb tuning is a must (fuel screw too, love that). I'm hoping I can just do a quiet insert for the stock pipe, keep it looking stock and then cut the air box behind the side cover. I'm going to try all that and see how it runs.

I'm dieing to ride it but the Holidays have for immediate attention. I'm sneeking off to pull the carb out now. Hope to give an update once its running.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 22, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Krannie! I found the thread on 05 mods list, tons of help. I think your right , sticking to the simple mods that give me the most is the way to go. Big tank for sure and the carb tuning is a must (fuel screw too, love that). I'm hoping I can just do a quiet insert for the stock pipe, keep it looking stock and then cut the air box behind the side cover. I'm going to try all that and see how it runs.

I'm dieing to ride it but the Holidays have for immediate attention. I'm sneeking off to pull the carb out now. Hope to give an update once its running.

Just remember you can't modify one thing (air box) without modifying everything else to match it: pipe, intake, jetting are all one system. Keep it balanced.

Most people do it wrong, then blame the bike. 

Copy the wealth of knowledge here.

• flymybike

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Just remember you can't modify one thing (air box) without modifying everything else to match it: pipe, intake, jetting are all one system. Keep it balanced.

Most people do it wrong, then blame the bike. 

Copy the wealth of knowledge here.

So far I have the exhaust packing out, cut out the air box openings behind the side panel and did the carb clean. It has a 50 pilot jet in it (45 is stock) so I think it's been messed with before. I'm wondering if I need to go even bigger pilot jet because I normally ride at 4,000 + elevations. Same with the main jet...? Stock is a 165 main jet.  So far it's running great and I'm excited to get out on it for a first ride. Any advice on a good starting point with jetting #'s?

On a side note, I've repacked all the shock linkages, pulled all the pre-load off the rear spring (like 20 turns, insane) and got the rear shock to a good starting point for me, I only weight 150 loaded. Next is the front fork, it seems to have the same pre-load thing going on.

Another question is does the 03 WR have a grey wire? I've found is doesn't have the AIS so yea! And does it have the throttle stop as well? It seems to open up fine but I haven't done a good ride yet so I'm unsure.

Sure love diging into bikes like this, so much to learn. Thanks again Krannie!

• flymybike

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Just found the jetting database!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.