New 2013 WR450F Merry Christmas To Me!

36 replies to this topic
  • 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Anyone know of leftovers in the LA, MS area? '12 or '13 is fine.

This is a link to a seach I just did on cycletrader.com. It should list (4) 2013's and (1) 2012. If it doesn't work just go to cycletrader.com and do a search by state (you can choose more than one at a time), Manufacture, and Model

http://www.cycletrad...53&vrsn=results

• YHGEORGE

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:22 AM

This is a link to a seach I just did on cycletrader.com. It should list (4) 2013's and (1) 2012. If it doesn't work just go to cycletrader.com and do a search by state (you can choose more than one at a time), Manufacture, and Model

http://www.cycletrad...53&vrsn=results

:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:46 AM

I thought the opposite was true. I rode mine for a day with the FMF and the comp ECU not tuned (all zeros) and it felt like an MX bike. Huge hit right off the bottom and super aggressive everywhere. Would be fun in the dez or on a track, but not in tight woods, finding traction was a chore. After putting in the FMF map the hit settled way down and it made the whole powerband more linear. Much more manageable, but still way more power than stock.

Interesting... this past memorial day I rode my cousin's 12 WR450 with the FMF pipe and the GYT-R ECU installed, no idea what he was running for tuning but I know he'd been fiddling with it.  I thought the bike was way too soft and lacking the grunt my 06 YZ-F has, I was thinking a set of YZ cams may be needed to wake it up.  Sounds like a few tweaks on the tuner may be enough to make me happy if/when I can manage to score one of these bikes for myself.

• de450f

Posted December 27, 2013 - 05:01 PM

10 miles on it all studded up in the snow and ice and I love this bike. I'm enjoying its power in its stock restricted form. Can tell it has alot more to offer in the spring when I uncork it.

• cubera

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Congrats on the new machines! I'm picking up a new WR on Monday and once I do I'll be on here driving all of you insane! Happy New Year!

• mebgardner

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:27 AM

I'm another proud new owner of a '13 WR450F.  Bought it yesterday and am antsy to go ride it.

Can someone please point me at a pictoral exploded view of where I can find and remove the throttle stop on this cycle?

I had 4 different sales and mech types gathered around yesterday during the purchase, and I could not get a straight answer from them.  One said it's in the throttle grip, one says it's on the throttle body (and points at a black headed screw on the bottom of the throttle body, saying it's a torx type screw head, I could not tell...)

Neither could they tell me what to replace it with, other then "a long screw", or how far in to screw it in.

Yeah, they were real helpful, that crew...

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I'm another proud new owner of a '13 WR450F.  Bought it yesterday and am antsy to go ride it.

Can someone please point me at a pictoral exploded view of where I can find and remove the throttle stop on this cycle?

I had 4 different sales and mech types gathered around yesterday during the purchase, and I could not get a straight answer from them.  One said it's in the throttle grip, one says it's on the throttle body (and points at a black headed screw on the bottom of the throttle body, saying it's a torx type screw head, I could not tell...)

Neither could they tell me what to replace it with, other then "a long screw", or how far in to screw it in.

Bottom of the Throttle body towards the front of the bowl. You'll need a T25 (tamper proof style) torx bit. Remove it and replace it. with the one provided with the GYTR Tuner OR grind it down and reinstall it.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Search this forum for "Throttle Stop Screw". You'll find more than you need. lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mebgardner

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for the help!

I knew about the screw that came with the tuner / programmer, but I thought it fit only the stop screw replacement position in the grip.

Thank you!

• firejosh

Posted December 30, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Took my 12 out today quick ride.  Been down with the flu for a week...wa...wa.  Great bike, just feels like I can flick it through the trails.  Compared to my 08 YZ450 and my 12WR250R this beast rocks.  Feels lighters, turns better, and the stock suspension is soaking it up.  Got a plate on mine and now can hope on and ride to the local secret spots.  Perfect bike for this.

Oh and by the way.  It wheelies really easy, and feels very well balanced.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'm so excited to get out and ride mine. For now I'll settle for a few more mods. I have Moose Racing handguards on my desk, a Tusk street legal kit hitting tomorrow, and Devol radiator guards shipping on the 8th. I'm still going back and forth on a rack for the back. I really like the Pro Moto Billet, but it's epensive.

• firejosh

Posted December 30, 2013 - 10:21 PM

I had a rack on my wr250 and it was always hitting my ars when I was going over stuff fast.  I opted for no rack on my 12 and don't miss it.  I where a pack if I need to carry stuff.  Just my 2 cents worth...

Edited by firejosh, December 30, 2013 - 10:21 PM.

• mebgardner

Posted December 31, 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm so excited to get out and ride mine. For now I'll settle for a few more mods. I have Moose Racing handguards on my desk, a Tusk street legal kit hitting tomorrow, and Devol radiator guards shipping on the 8th. I'm still going back and forth on a rack for the back. I really like the Pro Moto Billet, but it's epensive.

Dont do this.

I've had racks on my cycles and every time the cycle takes a nap, it will bend the subframe it's mounted to. I spent many dinero replacing bent subframes.

Dont    Do    This.

The fellow above has the right idea.  Carry your stuff.

• 5270ADVRIDER

Posted December 31, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you prefer a backpack or the mid-section style? My shop is a Klim dealer and they have both. The Klim Nackpac has a built-in camelback and a removable tool pouch.

• firejosh

Posted December 31, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I use a backpack. I keep it loaded right, and straps tight...and I can ride into the night...sorry it just rhymed.
Never tried the other carrying system your refering to.

• de450f

Posted January 01, 2014 - 04:55 AM

I always use a back pack as well. Never wanted a rack on the back for those times when I need to escape off the back of the bike. Braaaappp. Plus the pack keeps your upper body supported a bit and adds to back protection in case of a get off as long as its not full of machetes.

• Navaho6

Posted January 01, 2014 - 06:50 AM

10 miles on it all studded up in the snow and ice and I love this bike. I'm enjoying its power in its stock restricted form. Can tell it has alot more to offer in the spring when I uncork it.

I have made 3 rides with my new WR.  Only rode 10 miles in stock form, then put the ecu and FMF muffler on.  1st time I tried the Aussie map.  It was dull.  Soft on the bottom.  Next I tried the FMF, then the Sand maps.  I like the FMF for woods.  Not too aggressive but much better than the Aussie.  Sand map hits hard right off the bottom then signs off on top. 

Yesterday, I tried the MX map, and it was strong from bottom to top and just what I was looking for.  It is very snappy on the bottom, much like the Sand map but rips on top!   It's is a huge difference from stock.  So nice to be on a new bike that doesn't 'bog'.

One of my concerns with this bike was that it would be twitchy and unstable at speed, as some have mentioned.  I guess it would be if you set the sag where the magazine reviews suggest.  I set my race sag at 102 mm and rode out to the sand wash (deep ravine with nothing but sand).  The bike was just as stable as my '06 and far more stable and predictable than my 450 EXC. 

The more I ride this new WR, the more I like it.  Rode with a big group of KTM's last weekend, 18+ bikes in all.  Tight, woods trails.  Three new WR's at the top of the pecking order followed by a bunch of pumpkin-colored bikes. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.