Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

Great topic! ?

I'm a 90% street / 10% dirt rider currently on stock gearing with the following modifications: FMF full pipe and EJK programmer.

At this point I'm happy with the stock gearing as I ride highway daily but after my break in period and some additional testing I may consider going to a 13 tooth front based on the rave reviews I have heard.

• Like 2

I am going to be using 13/40 initially then later change the rear to a 42 tooth sprocket.

I will be doing 50/50 street/dirt

There does not seem to be a large selection of rear sprockets at the moment for the CRF250L if using the stock 10mm bolts, I am hoping things might improve in this regard

• Like 1

Great topic! ?

I may consider going to a 13 tooth front based on the rave reviews I have heard.

A 13 will increase that top end .... so I hear :thinking:

My bike is stuck in the garage and we are getting 8 - 12 inches of snow right now ?

I do have a 13/42 combo to install and if that doesn't get the front wheel off the ground I am going to go with a 14/51 :shocked: and if needed will drop the front back to the 13. :banana:

all my riding will be local in town streets and trails. If I can get lots of power and still hit 60 - 65 mph I will be happy :applause:

Heck, I don't even care if I don't use 1st gear anymore :wacko:

What is your opinion on BestDualSports using 8mm sprocket bolts? They reckon it is ok.

I wouldn't use 8mm bolts. There are plenty of sizes available for the 2013 CRF250L right now.

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

I am going to be using 13/40 initially then later change the rear to a 42 tooth sprocket.

I will be doing 50/50 street/dirt

If you guys reckon 8mm sprocket bolts are OK it opens up many more options, which are limited at the moment if using the stock OEM 10mm bolts.

There does not seem to be a large selection of rear sprockets at the moment for the CRF250L if using the stock 10mm bolts, I am hoping things might improve in this regard

Read this about gearing. ?

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#gearing

:ride:

I wouldn't use 8mm bolts. There are plenty of sizes available for the 2013 CRF250L right now.

I was mainly refering to different brands, I am a bit of an AFAM fan. It doesn't matter too much I suppose.

I am aware of http://sprocketcenter.com/ any other sites you guys reckon are good?

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

I changed mine to 13/42...also allows you to use the stock chain. Works well and gives a decent first gear for trail riding. I can still do 65 MPH easily without ringing it out.

crfsonly.com has a nice gearing calculator.

sprocketcenter.com is where I bought the sprockets.

Edited by jsmithy
  • Like 1

Spud Rider said:

If one wants a 13T C/S sprocket, I can also recommend the Primary Drive C/S sprocket for the XR250R. These excellent C/S sprockets only cost $8.99.

http://www.rockymoun....Front-Sprocket

Instead of a 13T/42T sprocket combination, you might consider the 14T/45T sprocket combination. The 45T sprocket is stock for the Honda XR650L, therefore, many choices are available. I employ the Primary Drive sprockets available from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC on my XR650L. I like these sprockets very much, and they only cost $19.99.

http://www.rockymoun....Steel-Sprocket

primarydrivesprockets.jpg

The XR650L rear sprocket is also commonly available with 48 teeth.

In addition, the PBI C/S sprocket for the CBR250R/XR250R is available in sizes from 12T-15T. :D

http://shop.pbisproc....&categoryId=20

Therefore, one could also employ a 48T/15T sprocket combination instead of a 13T/42T sprocket combination.

However, I think a 45T rear sprocket is a good choice. For technical off road riding one could employ the stock, 14T front sprocket with the 45T rear sprocket. Then, one could easily swap a 15T, PBI C/S sprocket for lower rpms during extended street riding. The larger sprockets reduce wear on both sprockets as well as the drive chain, thereby extending the service life of all three components

Spud beer.gif

Maybe this will help.... :thinking:

:ride:

• Like 4

What are the options for aluminium rear sprockets for the CRF250L?

Does anyone have an aluminium rear sprocket with light weight chain?

Swapping the rear steel sprocket for an aluminum can save some weight.

The 42t alu PBI sprocket I bought at CRFsOnly was 262grs instead 645grs for the stock steel 40t.

What they say about :

-Made in the USA

-Manufactured from 7075 T6-51 aluminum

-Stronger than steel sprockets in tensile, yield and shear strength

-Far lighter than steel for less unsprung weight

-Made from full thickness aluminum for maximum strength

Cant see no wearing after 1000 miles here.

Hope that last ...

L

Edited by Krono
  • Like 3

My dad had a spray of some kind I used on my 230 and I haven't touched it since. It was almost like a paint, but man it really worked. I'll try to find out what it was unless somebody might know a little something about that.

Highly likely it was Motul Chain Lube. Definitely the best chain lube I have come across so far, and I have used quite a few different types.

Tell me more about X ring chains.

I want a light weight chain and am just starting to learn about chains in general

My personal experience using DID X-Ring chains on my road bikes has been improved fuel economy (about 10%), greater longevity, and better throttle response when combined with a lightweight rear sprocket.

Basically the X ring chains do a better job of keeping oil in the chain for a longer period of time comnpared to O-Rings.

Here is some marketing explanation of it:

http://www.didchain....reetChains.html

Generally speaking though, my experience is both RK and DID make excellent chains.

The CRF250L does not produce much torque so you can basically go with the lightest chain you can find

EDIT: RK GB520MXU is probably the one you want from RK. 520VT2 is I think the light weight version from DID. I will try and confirm.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

Highly likely it was Motul Chain Lube. Definitely the best chain lube I have come across so far, and I have used quite a few different types.

Here is a whole list of protectants. (http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Chain%20Lube) Not sure what the best is,but did find a forum that says (Wash your bike

Dry your chain

Spray it with silicon spray and leave it.

If you oil/lube/wax it, it will only cause dust to stick to it and that wears your chain and sprockets faster.

You don't need to lube an o-ring chain as the lube is contained with-in the chain itself, I got 5000kms out of my last set of sprockets and chain using the wash and silicon method.

Note do not use WD-40 as it does penetrate the o rings and dissolves the grease with-in the chain.) If all that is true then say yay or nay.